Diverticulitis Perforation- any advice?

Posted , 1 user is following.

1 month ago i was admitted into hospital with a sigmoid perforation due to acute diverticulitis. I went to my GP with terrible stomach cramps which I thought was IBS. The GP referred me straight to Ambulatory Care. My CRP levels were 96.8. I was given morphine and admitted. The following day a CT scan diagnosed the perforation due to diverticulitis. I was kept in hospital 6 days on IV antibiotics. I was told by consultant I was extremely lucky I responded to the antibiotics and avoided emergency surgery for a bowel resection. on the day of discharge my CRP has dropped to 42.

In the last 4 weeks I have been on constant antibiotics and just prescribed a further 2 weeks worth.

I am having a repeat CT scan next week and my surgeon will decide next course of action. If all looks like its heading in the right direction then I will have a colonoscopy in another 4 weeks. if the CT scan shows inflammation, , scar tissue impinging on other areas of the abdomen, abscess or narrowing then a resection may still be recommended. the surgeon said I'm better to have an elective resection rather than an emergency one as the latter would mean 99% I would need a stoma (which may or may not be reversed).

I am overwhelmed with it all. I had no idea I had diverticular and I'm frightened that I don't know how or why I got the perforation.

I am also extremely tired and exhausted all of the time. I wondered how long this lasts?

Also the 'pain' I have now is like a heavy feeling- like I am carrying a brick around. is that what other people have?

I have no idea on diet. the hospital discharged me with fibre-gel and a stool softener. The surgeon I am under now is advising a low fibre diet.

I am scared and confused and looking for anyone with a similar experience.

thank you

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.