Diverticulitis, pickle juice

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was thirty five when first diagnosed with diverticulitis. It was an expensive issue after cat scans, emergency room morphine, and follow up appointments. The Dr told me at my age if I come see him again about this problem it's straight to the OR. So the next time I felt the tenderness, piercing pain in the same spot I began to panic. Who wants to be operated on right? I knew I could flush my system by chugging tomato juice in just one or two glasses, but the infection, I remebered some info I had read about vinegar having had some anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-viral, and ant-fungal properties. And I knew I had pickles in the fridge. So needless to say I chugged the quart jar of pickle juice, in about 12 hours I knew I made the right decision because the pain was going away, that evening. The next day I still felt the constipation, and drank tomato juice, couple Tylenol, pushed clear fluids and stayed as active as I dared, it took about 8 hours and then I knew I was on to something. For me this works so far I haven't been back to see a dr for this issue its been 3 years. However other times I wanted to long to drink the vinegar and it made my recovery time last longer by couple days even missed couple days work to recover sick in bed sick, so timing is key for me sooner the better. I can say I understand the pain, I knew when it's coming, and I stay prepared.  

This is my story, I would like to know if anyone has tried this or would be willing to try it or ponder the idea? Thoughts? I hope it helps. That's my 2 cents.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I agree Madge about the high fibre and diverticulitis.  It always makes for harder movements and you certainly don't need that.  When I would have an attack I would constantly feel like I needed to go but couldn't go.  I wasn't constipated but used laxatives or suppositories and would just go a little for some relief but continued to have the urge to go.  After my surgery that feeling left and I haven't had it again since.  It had to be something to do with the DD.  I eat wholegrains now because a hard movement is a rarity for me.  I'm usually going the other way after eating some foods.  I find veggies and fruits fiber to be better for me but I do insert some breads and boiled eggs (at another time) to help with the consistency.  I just like to be regular and for today I'm just that.  I find myself wishing for a weeks worth of regular.  Amazing the things that take priority when we get older.  LOL

• Posted

I read this with interest as I have diverticulitis but am on a journey to better health which addresses many issues discussed here. I'll share aND maybe someone will read something that helps.

I am in my 50's, have suffer severe constipation. I have back issues and swimming is my best exercise. Even with proper diet of vegetable roughage, no grains other than steEl rolled, no dairy, moderate protein, plenty of fish, lots of fluids, I can go as long as 3 weeks without BM.

About 5 weeks ago through Authority Nutrition, Intermittent Fasting. Skipping meals to lose weight, ease inflammation, reduce blood sugar and induce Autophagy-the process where your body destroys old, unhealthy cells.

Dr. Jason Fung writes The Obesity Cure. I am not obese, nor do I have high blood sugar, nor high blood pressure. But, I had ovarian metastatic cancer in my teens.

Autophagy, starts in the process of short fasts- can reduce tumors, reduce plaque in your arteries and brain. It also renews your skin.

A 2016 Nobel Peace Prize was given to research in Autophagy. Major clinics around the world are experimenting with these fasting therapies now.

So, after reading many books, I thought, why not?

I conferred with my doctor.

We did blood work.

I bought blood glucose monitor

I bought ketone strips

I have a blood pressure cuff

I made a few gallons of seafood bone broth

I stocked up on teas and coffees

I lasted on water, coffee, tea, bone broth for 6 days,

Ketosis started day2- I was burning far, which meant U'd burnt through my blood glucose.

Day 6- 1 snack: had 10 med shrimp with 2 tbsp butter before bed

Day7 I had blood work, talked to the doc.

Everything was good.

Back to the diet plan as above.

Day 8

10 Shrimp, 2 tbsp butter

Day 17 I ended this fast.

Day 18-27

I've eaten 1 meal at night.

3 ounces salmon or tuna-easy to digest, 1 poached egg, 1-3 thin slices of swiss cheese or feta or not, 1 cup soft cooked low glycemic vegetable.

I still drink the same as on my fast ONLY I have added pickle juice to the diet 4 days ago after my daughter who is on a hospital monitored plan, with weekly visits, told me the hospital plan allows the clients unlimited dill or kosher dill pickles and juice on the diet.

The average pickle is 7 calories.

The vinegar is acidic. Your bile is acidic. Combine 2 acids=you are alkaline. This is why you get relief of stomach upset.

The hospital told my daughter they believe pickles keep people on their plan.

So, my results?

Day 18, after 20+ years of struggling with constipation and severe pain, I have been very regular with no more than 2 days between BM. It'seems comfortable, easy. I am eating a few nuts and blueberries.

I think my fast healed my intestines, which is what autophagy does or bowel rest may do as one poster wrote.. I haven'the felt this well since I did a 6 week 500 calorie a day diet abut 4 years ago. Inow fact, I feel better than that actually.

My energy is improved, my inflammation is dramatically less, I'm sleeping better. I did lose 20 pounds.

People tell me I look to be early 40'stages. I run a business with much stress and I have a seizure disorder.

I am going to do intermittent fasting to continue to feel this way.

Look up Dr. Jason Fung (who has youtube videos) books on IF by Dr. Westerman and Dr Seyfried were my favorite authors with excellent citations and NIH studies.

It may change your life as it has mine.

I wish you all good luck.

Blythe

• Posted

I have had DD for the past three years.  Each time I went to the ER I got a Cat scan and meds.  I am put on Flagyl which nauseates me and Cipro.  I was told if I had 3 or 4 of these attacks in a year I needed to think about elective surgery.  My mom had chrons for 60 years and wore a pouch the entire time of her life.  She passed 12 years ago.  I don't want to have surgery, but I don't want those pouches to burst.  We meet with my surgeon on Thursday of this week to discuss options.  I stay away from seeds and popcorn and will  now stay away from things with skin on them.  I am pretty regular and don't have to strain a lot to go to the bathroom.  I am going to try your pickle juice, (a table spoon at a time and see how this works if I get another flair up.)  I enjoy reading the information others put on this forum.  They give me information and hope.  Please keep me in your prayers as I will all of you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.