Diverticulitis..PLEASE HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there.I was hoping someone could help me with some questions.I had my first diverticulitis attack April 8 and told uncomplicated case.I was on meds for 14 days.Still had pain so had a repeat cat scan and blood work which showed much better.Two weeks later and still had pain,more blood work showed infection and inflammation look good.Here I am two months later and have tenderness on the left w pain on the right as well with sitting,bending etc.The pain is around my waist around to back sometimes.I didnt have the pain on the right when I first had the infection 2 months ago.Sometimes when I sit I feel nauseous or acidy w bending my stomach.I have had nausea on and off.Im due for a colonoscopy next week but to be honest a little nervous due to still having pain.Some say if you have inflammation and its to soon they can perforate the colon.

This is making me depressed and I worry every day. Can anyone tell me why I would still have discomfort after all this time??

I still eat a bland diet some what,take probiotics,lots of water and go potty every morning...Sometimes through out the day I still feel like I have to go but dont.I am bloated some days.The most uncomfortable is the right side if I had to choose..Anyone?Im looking for answers

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Seriously?not one reply? πŸ˜”
  • Posted

I'm the exact same it's now 7 weeks since I was hospitalised with diverticularitist, I've had it for years however rather nasty flare up, I was on intravenous ante biotics that then when I went home had oral ante biotics, I am still having pain, in tummy left side , right side, and bottom of my back both right and left, doctor did more blood work and infection level had came down to 10 from 67, he said that it will eventually settle down, and yes it can take weeks or months, so try not to worry. I also had 2 colonoscopies during this time and no damage done, so I hope this has gave you a bit more clarity, you are through the worst, you can only get better, sending you loads of hugs and luck.
    • Posted

Thank you so much!!It helps to know it can be the norm..Wow,your WBC was 67..mine was 15 in the ER.I have a colonoscopy next week but think I may have to push it back a couple weeks w a few strikes against me..one Being a terrible cough w a sinus infection and my monthly is due the day before and I get it VERY HEAVY.Im know the colonoscopy is important but I guess 2 weeks wont make a difference.

So this can be the norm because my Dr acts baffled.I get nausea and the pain gets worse w sitting,like restricted.I have seen some get it once and then fine snd some that have flare up after flare up.Thats what worries me.The not knowing if your still healing or its come back.thank u kindly for answering me 😊😊.I hope you continue to heel too 😊

• Posted

Don't you worry, you will get there, and given your reasons I think it would be wise to contact them and rearrange your colonoscopy. So if mine was 67, it shows you how better you can get, so good luck, I'll be thinking of you. As I said though I've been diagnosed with diverticularitist for years and that was my first serious flare up so it can be rare.πŸ™‚
    • Posted

Thank you sweetie.I hope you heel real fast.Do you mind if I ask you how many flare ups you have had?I see some people have 3 or more and go for surgery.Is that the norm?I think I would rather deal w it no matter what instead of surgery.my dad had it just once when I was young.My Dr wants me to start zithromax with the URI but im a little nervous it will aggravate the healing process and I've had enough meds,lol.When it rains,it pours!!!you are so kind.I will put you in my prayers 😊
    • Posted

Well after years only that one really bad flare up, I've had a couple of smaller ones, you get to know yourself when you need to go and get extra help, I don't blame you about new medication, I just stick with what I know, yes surgery can be a possibility, but only if diverticularitist getting harder to treat with ante biotics, so still a long way off, (I hope) lol. You just keep doing what you need to, we know our own bodies, I discuss things with my doctor a nod at the end of the day, it's my decision based on his information, I ha be a good doctor so that helps xx
    • Posted

Thank you again for being so kind and responding.I just find it so hard to believe that two months later I am still having some pain on and off through out the day on the right and left side.The infection was real painful and then a couple weeks later I was feeling pretty good.Then they started again but not constant.Ive had blood work 4 times because I get worried its back.The Dr said the pain would be constant and bad but Ive seen people have little flares.Im still doing a bland diet.just now starting new foods.I figure I have pain anyway so dont think its food..its something i wish I never had...lol.Im sure you feel the same 😊
    • Posted

Yes, it's a difficult disease because any pain you get on your left side you start to get anxious, but remember I've had it for years and only had one bad flare up, and honestly you get to know when it's infected or just a bit irritated, I couldn't believe the length of time it takes to get better either, I got more blood work last week and my infection level is still at 10 however doctor says that's okay and considering it had been 65 then it's just time. I'm constantly watching what I eat and drink. Do you take fybrogel?
    • Posted

My infection count is down to 9.8 but was 15 in the ER.The first time before the last blood test it was down to 7 so I questioned why it was higher at 9.8 and he said it is still in normal range.I hate the pains and not knowing if your letting something go.I had penne vodka last night for the first time thinking its soft and had pain and then loose stool this morning.Im guessing it wasn't a good idea or my body is trying to adapt.

If your WBC is 10 thats fantastic compared to where you where.what is fibrogel?I do have benifiber but not sure my belly is ready for fiber.Even before DD,I didn't do well w fiber.Or maybe thats what Im lacking?

• Posted

Fibrogel is drinks that you take every day, I take 2 a day and it's powder that you dilute in water, I can't believe you aren't on it, it's one of the first prevention AIDS for any tummy problems, it keeps you regular, so prevents any stress on your bowels, ask your doctor, honestly I notice if I've forgot then I suffer the next day, just keep going the way you are and you will get there, try not to stress because that seriously doesn't helpπŸ™‚
    • Posted

I picked up benifiber a couple weeks ago and Im not sure if it was that but it made the pain worse.My Dr said if Im still having pain it may be to soon.Maybe I should try it again.Even before DD I was never one to tolerate much fiber ..

Yesterday I had the worst nausea and burning feeling through out my whole belly..I think it was heartburn but not just up high.it comes every now and then.not so bad today.Just the achiness around my sides today w sitting.This disease sure does come w alot of different surprises.I think I'll try the benifiber again 😊

• Posted

The thing with these fibre drinks is the need to keep taking every day, I used to miss a couple then I'd get toilet problems, it took me a while to work out that they really help, it stops excess strain on your diverticularitist. And yes, the symptoms are crazy, today I'm getting the sharp pains from my tummy round to my back, but lately got to admit been a bit more stable so can't complain.πŸ€”
    • Posted

You are the sweetest keeping in touch w me.I hope the pain you where having has eased up.You are so right about the fiber..I am willing to try anything in hopes the infection never comes back again.I notice I am due for my monthly cycle in a day or two and boy oh boy..even that it aggrivates everything.I thought I was having a flare until I realized that was dueπŸ˜‚.I hope your pains are better😊
    • Posted

No problem Kelly, your welcome, I can totally emphasise with you, but a period never made my diverticular worse, I know what you mean though you tend to be running to toilet a lot more. You poor thing, it is worse because a flare up lasts so long and takes everything out of you, so fingers crossed xxxx πŸ˜—
    • Posted

Its me again.Im so sorry to be a pest but I dont know of anyone w this disease to ask..

Last I mentioned I was expecting my period.It never came.Now 9 days past due and negative pregnancy tests.Peri menopause possibly.Anyway the pain on the left increased wednesday so I had more blood work.My Dr called today and said WBC is normal but inflammation is elevated again. He said he would do another cat scan but seeing as. My pain isnt severe and on and off he wants me to watch my symptoms.I has a bad cough too and he feels that can show inflammation too.I have Diarreah now the past two days cramping on left and right and a little nausea.He mentioned irritable bowel.He didnt seem to concerned and said to call if worse.Do you know of we can have inflammation and tenderness but not exactly an infection/flare?I promise this is my last question...lol.I really hate this

• Posted

No problems Kelly, the symptoms your describing sounds definetly infection, and your going to need anti biotics again, mine is flared up again today so I can totally sympathise. What age are you? Regarding your period, I am 48 and I'm menopausal as well, but trust me if you have a flare up you know, I think with your infection rate again been elevated your doctor should have provided anti biotics, if not your going to end up in hospital. You contact me anytime, I totally get it.
    • Posted

Sorry you are having a flare as well.I am 47..I feel like the DD is getting in the way of my period.Last night it got bad..hurt to breathe but little better today.Dr said do liquids for 2 days and see since my WBC was ok.what meds do you take .I have the cipro and flagl in..maybe I will just start them.They made me feel so yuckie last time though.I cant take penicillin
    • Posted

I'm 48, and confirmed menopause, so I don't think that helps us any, I think the flare up could be down to all that going on, that could be what's going on with you, you should get a blood test to check for menopause as well. I take fybrogel and buscopan for my IBS, the diverticular only gets treated if infection there, but I think you will know by now, your own body tells you and you get to know every symptom wether it's infection or not, honestly believe in your gut instinct x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.