Diverticulitis removed lost 10 inches of colon.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been so tired after this surgery I don't understand why. it's been 6 months.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

hi , 6 months isnt very long after such surgery it's a major thing and where they have cut your colon away has had to be reconnected to the small intestine I believe by sutures called aneostomy if my memorie is serving me right . and it's a main blood route they are cutting through so this has to be remembered as the blood supply has a whole new route.its a big thing to heal .

2 and half years ago my bowel perforated ( 38 year female ) due to misdiagnosed ibs.. I actually had diverticulitis on the right side. my cecum perforated and contents leaked causing huge infection. I have the left colon remaining.

I got very down afterwards and still am as I had to another major op 3 months ago .

but 2 years it takes for the inside layers to heal . also they will have burned each point where they cut and they would have remove some lymph nodes... 6 months really is fresh to the major reform your body is adjusting to.

it's a shame others around us dont get It and think we are over exaggerating

• Posted

thank you for your reply, it's nice to know I am not crazy.

• Posted

This is normal after major surgery; give it time and do not worry!

• Posted

Thank you I feel like I should see a shrink. I also lost my 37 year old only son 3 years ago. I am sure this is added to the problems.

• Posted

I wouldn't bother with a shrink. Just take it easy for as long as you need to.

• Posted

im so sorry you are discouraged. ive had 4 major surgeries and each time the doctor has told me that it takes a full year to completely recover. with soft tissue surgery in what you describe, no wonder you are still tired. do you suffer from dumping syndrome after loosing so much colon?

• Posted

what is dumping? I sometimes dont go for 2 days then pow got to find bathroom and I got a lot.

• Posted

short bowel syndrome. my mother had colon cancer and they removed some of her colon. from that point on, she barely left the house because she could at any moment have a loose bowel movement with no control. she was very isolated at home for 16 years after that until she passed at age 94.

• Posted

I think stress does add to our health problems , and oh my 3 years , must still feel like yesterday 😦

I lost my dad couple months ago and it feels like it only happened last week , I'm very sorry you have lost your son It is never something a parent should ever have to face , I hope you have people who look out for you especially with having had this op x

• Posted

hi I hope you have had some brighter days , I forgot to say what might help alleviate tiredness. the diet needs a little tweaking when the bowel has been messed with . I was told a high fibre high protein and high fluid ( unfortunately they mean water 😉 ha ) ... this is to help the body keep levels up to how they should be and also to help bulk the stool and to help speed up the healing process or at least make it least stressful ans tiring.

try a high protein menu and find foods that are food for energy . it may help you feel more energetic in the mind to feel like you. but honestly with the last 3 years you have dealt with alot both mentally and physically , I would start to believe that wonder woman is real if some one didnt feel so dam deflated in your shoes x

• Posted

I had my cecum removed with my right ckn and transverse colon. with no cecum my food is not processed how it used to be . food can't be broken down and water is less absorbed and distributed around the body . I basically poop what I eat, it comes out the same way it went down. this makes sense that then my body feels so down , it's not taking in what I'm eating, only small amounts of all that goodness so the idea is to gorge like a pig 😉 haha well in all seriousness though I hunt for food with high protein and fibre and try to drink as much water as I can .but boy do I know it when I dont eat well. I get very down and frustrated and hopeless, its amazing what food can do in all honesty.. so grab pen and paper and hunt for some super foods that you like and then conjure up some recipes 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.