Diverticulitis round 1

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 1 week ago today for the first time, I have multiple other GI issues, but never this before now. It started ok Christmas morning with rectal bleeding, that I ignored and let go for 5 days, as it increased more and more, and pain in lower left abdomen increased more and more. I ended up in ED and was admitted for 2 nights on oral antibiotics, and IV fluids. The blood had stopped, and I was doing better, that is until Wednesday evening of this week, that was day 6 of the 2 different oral antibiotics. I started having increased pain, and started noticing blood on the tissue when I was wiping, as well as it laced within my stool again. I had an appt with my general care doctor yesterday and she said just to keep an eye on it, well yesterday and today it has increased, both the pain and the blood, and i have started vomiting as well, I've vomited 3 total times over the past 48 hrs, so not a ton, but it is a new symptom again. I guess I am wondering, is this something others have experienced, and it was nothing; or is this something I should be concerned with and go back to the ED and be reevaluated? Obviously I DO NOT want to go back to ED if it is something others have experienced and could be normal. I know everyone is different and no one can be for certain about what is going on, unless a doc looks and does images and blood work; but I would just like some advice from others who have had this horrendous disease. 

Thanks in advance 

Christina 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It does not sound normal or typical of recovery to me.  It is common to still have some pain, but should not be getting worse.  Do you have a fever?  I would go to ED and get another CT scan  - you don't want it to rupture - then you are in big trouble.  Better safe than sorry.  Keep us updated - and prayers and best wishes.  

• Posted

Thank you so much for the reply; I do not have a fever at this point, something just doesn't seem right to me though. I will be heading to the ED in a little while with my husband 😢, just not where I wanted to end up again. Thank you again, and I will update when I can. 

• Posted

Did they ever do the ct scan on you to make sure it was Diverticulitis ? What test did they run on you to confirm it?

I get the blood and mucus and the really bad labor pains! 

• Posted

Hi, 

Please let us know how you are doing. 

It’s good you don’t have a fever. Was the DD diagnosed by colonoscopy? Sounds like you live in USA here in UK they deal with it in quite a different way. I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago and luckily only had 3 flare up. I get low pains and mucus and blood. I go immediately on a fluid diet and take paracetamol for the pain. If it gets no better I phone the GP who prescribes me antibiotics. You are right going back to the hospital as it shouldn’t be getting worse and worse. 

I know some people have a horrendous time with this horrid disease and I hope you feel better very soon.

• Posted

Hello,

Referring to your fluid diet, I make myself a chicken/vegetable consomme soup, which I freeze in cups, and have several times a day during flare-ups. Do you have any other ideas for fluid diet please? How long do you remain on the diet? The antibiotics always make me ill and prolong the diarrhoea, but I suppose that’s inevitable. I’m very new to this disease. Many thanks.

• Posted

I also have clear apple juice, jelly and herbal tea, and follow this for at least 48 hours.  Then I start to introduce more solid fluids, like plain yogurt, then move on to mash, poached white fish, scrambled egg, crustless white bread.  But with the medication I find I have very little appetite anyway.  It seems to take 4 - 6 weeks to get over a flare and the side effects of the pills, or even longer for really nasty attacks.  Best wishes
    • Posted

Many, many thanks for some new ideas. Best wishes to you too...
    • Posted

Hi. I thought I was getting better. Have been on antibiotic week now.im never constipated like some...just loose.really don't know what to eat now. Had a fish pie then ran to loo. Could just tell there would be blood as it was like a balloon burst. And mucus.had this now for 4 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Christina.

I was dx on 12/21. I had no rectal pain, but I did have significant pressure in that area. It was even uncomfortable to sit down. I just had a follow up with my doc and he was surprised that I still have significant tenderness in the abd area as well as no appetite and of course, with that, noticable weight loss. Nausea is gone since I switched from Zofram to Fenergan.

Over 2 week so far I have been fighting this. It really is miserable. One ER visit, 2 abd CT's with contrast, a coloscopy and, like you, hospitalized for IV fluids/antibiotics.

I am not sure there is any really answer. Each case seems different, yet similar. Follow your intuition. Don't hesitate. You certainly do not want to perforate. Best of luck. Blessings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.