Diverticulitis symptoms won't go away even after treatment!!!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Two weeks ago I was in the ER with my first bout of diverticulites.Cipro and flagl for 10 days and told uncomplicated case.10 days later and I STILL had pain and terrible low back pain so was told stay on medfor 14 days and my blood workon the 10th day showed my White blood count went from 16 in the ER to 10 so looks good w infection.But I still had pelvic pain /spasms.I called the Dr and he sent me for more blood work to check infection ( I get results tomorrow I hope).I thought I was getting better with two good days but now I have bloating and nausea along with cramping on and off.I have lost 20lbsand feel weak from being afraid to eat.I live on toast eggs and chicken sometimes.I feel sick to my belly right now and think I have thrush from the meds that I finishe two days ago.

Can the symptoms last even after infection clears?I know this is not something to mess with so I get nervous thinking should I go to the hospital.I dont want to jump the gun either.I guess the blood work will show more.Does this crap take this long to clear up.?Makes me nervous.I didnt have nausea before in the beginning bu now i do.Whats going on?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just got my diagnosis exactly a week ago and am concerned and worried about the long term effects and how its going to affect my job. I hope by now all of you in this discussion are doing better. If you have any advice I am all ears. I was in the hospital on iv's for 3 days and sent home on cipro and flaygl. Thought I was doing better but nauseous and irregular bowels. I have a follow up appt today.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I'm here because I've been struggling and battling with this disease since 1998 when I was diagnosed at 38 years of age. I was looking online for some further advice about foods to eat/not eat to maintain/prolong a no-inflammation

condition. This year I went for nearly 4 months without even the sign of a flare up and then it hit. You all know what it's like, so I'm not going into details about the pain, nausea etc. What I've found is that different foods are better at different stages of inflammation and most importantly, not a high fibre diet when you're not feeling good. Plenty of liquids and a small amount of soluble fibre every day is helpful. Other remedies like olive leaf and probiotics seem to work for a while but then stop. I've just been on holiday, and of course, I've got the sore lower abdomen (mainly left side, but right also as the last colonoscopy showed its spread throughout, lower back pain etc.) I'm going to try a liquid diet for a while with some simple protein like egg. I found some good, practical, quite clear advice here https://www.healthline.com/health/diverticulitis-diet-list-of-foods-to-avoid#foods-to-consider . Good luck to you all and try not to get too depressed about it - that. to me is one of the worst symptoms and effects.

• Edited

Hi

Can you tell me what your diet is now?

That is what I am having trouble with

Thank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.