diverticulitis what to eat now

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi went to A + E  last Monday with stomach pain and fever 

Was admitted into hospital had blood test ct scans etc. Diagnosed with diverticulitis inflamed and localised perforation.  Was immediately put on anti biotics intravenously and has a clear liquid diet for four four days . Anti biotics started to work so was then put on a sloppy diet in the hospital and carried on with anti biotics . So had clear fluids for four days just water then had sloppy diets which was mashed up foods for two days  I was then discharged with two days of oral anti biotics . I'm not sure what diet I should continue now as I thought they might have written it in my discharge letter but nothing written . So can I go back to normal goods or do I have to stay on sloppy diet ?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I would take it easy with the food. My doctor told me to stay on foods that are low in fiber for a little while to let the stomach and intestines and colon cool down. White bread, white rice, bananas, things like that. Not the healthiest of things to eat but it certainly did help my stomach and my intestines and everything else to settle in and get back into a normal digestive flow. Once I was starting to feel better I started to incorporate the healthier foods that I normally eat like brown rice, salad, things that are in high fiber like that.  If you go back to normal foods too quickly or eat too much you can inflame your intestines and: again. Just take it easy.  I did not have the local perforation but it was a pretty bad infection and I was on antibiotics for 10 days. Boy do those meds  do a number on the body.  Hope that helps. 
    • Posted

This is what confuses me is the not eating fibre because after 4 days of clear fluids on hospital  I was then put on sloppy food and it was all mainly vegetables like mashed potato's , mashed carrots , mashed green beans , porridge and weetabix all these goods are high fibre . But lots of literature days only eat low fibre at first this is what confusing me 

• Posted

Paul once your off antibiotics you need to start 2 doses per day of Metamucil. It will make you go regular and clean out your colon in an expeditious manner.

If you keep your colon clean your less likely to get flare ups. Good luck 

• Posted

I have ibs which makes me regular anyway tend to have four to five loose bowel movements a day with my ibs
  • Posted

Paul,  I could not disagree more with that last post. Metamucil  contains a lot of fiber. My doctor specifically told me that after an attack you need to let your colon relax by not eating foods high in fiber. As a matter of fact, you will read everything on the Internet says the same thing.  I do not agree with taking Metamucil right after your antibiotics.  Think about it from the standpoint of having a really bad stomach flu. You want to stop the inflammation by eating foods that will bind and I just easily. 
    • Posted

This is what confuses me is the not eating fibre because after 4 days of clear fluids on hospital  I was then put on sloppy food and it was all mainly vegetables like mashed potato's , mashed carrots , mashed green beans , porridge and weetabix all these goods are high fibre . But lots of literature days only eat low fibre at first this is what confusing me 

• Posted

Hi Paul, I was in a similar situation in January..taken in to A & E with extreme pain and fever the only difference was I was in for 3 weeks as had a hole in my bowel ...I was told when I went home to stick to a low residue diet ( low fibre) and drink lots of water ..you can find examples of what to eat on the internet..I did this for around 6 weeks then gradually introduced healthy foods ...I missed fruit and vegetables so much lol...I'm guessing you will have a check up soon at the hospital so you can ask more about it then

• Posted

Hi pennypops you say you had a hole in your bowel what grade was it as I think they are graded . Mine was grade one I think they said which was a localised perforation which meant the perforation was sealed and was contained . Why did spend so long on hospital and was it your first attack did you have to have surgery ?
    • Posted

Yes I have to have check up in 6-8 weeks but it's now until then that I need to know what to eat 

• Posted

I would make an appointment with your doctor to ask these questions . You should not be left in the dark as to what you should now do. I think when any of us here have had a "flare up" of any description we need help with our diet requirements after all it is mainly diet that is important with diverticulitis. Go and see your doc for advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.