Diverticulitis with depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Anyone have anxiety and depression as well as diverticular problem? Been given anti deps which seem to make bowel worse.  Not sure what to try next to boost mood as dietary restrictions quite high with bowel disease.  Any help appreciated

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes. I’ve been quite depressed and anxious since my diagnosis last month. I’m still on soft food/low residue diet and so frustrated with the limitations on my life. I know many folks have it much worse than me, so I try to stay positive but it’s been difficult going from a reasonably healthy active person to what I am now.
    • Posted

i hope you can get through this with your own willpower as i havent been able to and findmyself now being medicated for the anxiety.  My body doesnt like these meds and i feel worse.  Dr doesnt seem to understand butnthere must be many of us out there with this.
  • Posted

Hi Ann

I had an anxiety disorder before my diagnosis and my psychologist has been kind enough to point out that being in pain so much and not knowing what to eat and being sick so often are going to make anyone anxious and depressed. I went through a bad bout of depression and have come out the other side with no medication. An aside some doctors believe people with DD have a vitamin D deficency and in my case that is true. I got my blood tested a few years ago and it was almost nonexistant. So I take 3000iu everyday and I find it does help with depression for me. I had to pay for the original vitamin D blood test but it was the best money I spent. And it was about $35 (Canadian) about four years ago. I no longer have to pay because my vitaminD was low so it is now covered. I hope this helps and I hope you find yourself feeling better very soon.

Julie

• Posted

Thank. You i will ask about vit d.  I was given them a few years ago but small dose. I am really quite depressed about all this and theynhave tried me on anti dep but made me feel terrible.  Just dont know what next.
    • Posted

I agree, I also had very low vitamin D when diagnosed with DD, 
  • Posted

I to developed chronic anxiety/panic attacks when diagnosed with diverticulitis back in Feb 2018, they put me on Adivan, I did 3 rounds of antibiotics and in hospital with abscess, I was in ER constantly and said it was just panic attacks, so my Dr sent me to Mental Health to get help, I had a very hard time dealing with the diverticulitis and the eating was very traumatic situation lost 32 lbs, They had me on so many diff meds and they all made me feel worse and caused me more anxiety, felt like I was going crazy. They say it takes time to find the right fit of meds for your body. In the mean time I learned how to control my anxiety panic with breathing exercises, meditation, yoga, walking I go to groups to learn on mindfulness and reprogramming my brain to be in wise mind. I found a website on Diverticulitis pain free foods and also went by the Mayo Clinic diet , I finally started eating all good, keep a food journal and am on Xanax 2x a day. They did a mouth swab for dna to see which meds would work best for my body chemistry so was put on Pristiq, well that didn’t work had bad reaction to it also now I feel like I am having a flare up of my diverticulosis, my labs are normal just waiting on Cat Scan results. So angry that If this is a flare up I have to start all over again I already have done the 48 hr liquid diet and am now on soft diet, I quit the Pristiq cuz all side effects are the same as the signs of having a flare up. All this time and months of healing myself and not working is so hard but at least now I have the skills to deal with the anxiety and panic, this all causes me. And I will not take no more meds they try to put me on. I just take Xanax for now, and will soon wean off them. It is funny how the brain and gut react together. So yes I believe a lot of people who have diverticulitis also developed anxiety, It’s a nasty combination and the eating and changing your lifestyle is not an easy thing to do. Be upfront with your Dr about how the meds make you feel , really be in tune and listen to your body, Best wishes for a healthy recovery. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your really helpful information.  I am convinced that the gut and the anxiety are interrelated now more than ever.  I get so frustrated with the mh team as they just hand out the anti depressants in the hope they will fix people when theres so much more at play.  They have tried me with several and they all made me feel worse, terrible nightmares, woozy head, even some made me more depressed.  I dont think they really know what they are doing.  I was just about to go down the line of DNA tests to see which ones would be right for me but i am interested it didnt work for you.   I think there are just some people who dont get on well with these medications. What really frustrates me is i know two acquaintances who have bipolar disease and yet they are much better on medicstion, it has fixed their problem yet here am i with diverticular problem and anxiety which is not fixable.  I have also developed e coli uti in last month so on antibiotics for that now too.  I take diazepam for when i need it but cannot see me ever being able to get off it as i get very anxious.  It does help to know someone else has this as i believe the gut/brain connection is very real.  Just need to get it under control.  Some days i have even felt i was going mad, especially on the a.d. tablets which i stopped.  So, not well, anxious and not better, hoping for a miracle cure and now double,thinking whether to,have DNA test, i assume you are in usa as its not available except privately in uk. Diet is everything now, feel so daft not being able to eat what others can but i am restricted due to being on warfarin too.  Just not a good combination.  Any suggestions are all welcome.thank you.
    • Posted

Have to be very careful with the diazepam witch is the Benzodiazepine family, they can cause rebound effect (more anxiety) and are very addictive. And only a band aide for the panic anxiety’s. And yes diet is everything, keep a food journal  I learned yoga, meditation, mindfulness walking and exercise to be very helpful. GSE, Alooe Vera Juice, Slippery elm, Tumeric, Apple cider vinegar, garlic, probiotics and prebiotic, 5htp , magnesium , Kefir, DGL all helpful things to add to your daily diet. Hope you heal soon and the anxiety is all part of DD diagnoses for a lot of people. Just know you can do this and it will get better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.