Diverticulitis won't go away with antibiotics

Posted , 4 users are following.

First of i'm a 20 year old male. Last Wednesday night i went to the ER for cramps and constipation, was given a blood test (which didn't show any sign of infection) and a CT scan which showed diverticulitis (which confused me because of the blood test). They didn't admit me so i've been home on antibiotics for 5 days and don't feel better. I went back to the ER a few days ago for now having blood in stool which they then said was a hemmroid but i don't feel any pain when i use the bathroom. They said i'm fine to go home again. But i'm just worried since i'm not feeling better. Any ideas if i should be too worried about cancer or anything like that? I worry a lot when i'm sick.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Your very young to have diverticulitis. I as most people diagnosed  was about 50.It can be very painful they used to call it left sided appendicitis because of that.

Did they give you any dietary advice? You want  pretty much a liquid diet to give it a good chance to heal before slowly adding low fibre foods. 

• Posted

The ER doctor just told me to stay on a liquid diet for a view days. It's been 5 days since i've been on the antibiotics and i'm still getting the cramps. Should i be worrying about cancer or anything?

• Posted

If a CT showed diverticulitis, trust the diagnosis and don't worry.  CTs are very reliable.

• Posted

The doctor told me the only way to find colon cancer is through a colonoscopy but they kept reassuring me that they're 100% sure it's not cancer.

• Posted

Trust what your doctor is telling you.  Worry willl make you feel worse. 
    • Posted

A certainty of 100% is reassurance you should accept.  Acceptance will help you to feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.