Diverticulitus

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, Im 39 and  new here and have a question. I have just bee recently diagnosed with diverticulitus and am now done with the antibotics. My question is can i drink alcohol now or ever again, i havent had any alcohol in 2 weeks and am fine with that just curious, Thanks in advance

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had to stop drinking alcohol completely and feel so much better with far fewer flare ups as a result. On the bright side I am saving a fortunate, am definitely healthier and oh yes best of all am loosing much needed weight. My advice stay off it if you can.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am 42 & I was recently diagnosed with Diverticular Disease. After years of pain and a few acute episodes I convinced the Gastroenterologist to please perform a colonoscopy. Unfortunately wine accompanied by poor diet has triggered episodes of severe pain. When I look back at the times I experienced pain it was immediately during or after summer holidays or after Christmas. I decided to have a few glasses of wine  last weekend and I've been in severe pain ever so nice.  So I've now taken the drastic  step of stopping Alcohol until summer then I will reintroduce it in moderation. The thing is alcohol produces an inflammatory response by the body so it can cause a flare up.

I am going to get my diet right from this week, my biggest fear is exacerbating my condition. I have to learn to manage it.

I have just ordered probiotics, psyllium husk & I have learned that eating small frequent meals help.  

I think one has to get to know their condition and see what works for them.

• Posted

Hi

I have just read another post from a member who is also in the medical profession.  They advise against trying psyllium until after the flare has died down.  I am a great advocate of the husk, but it is a form of fibre, so I do avoid it until finishing the antibiotics.  I also take it with a lot more water than I used to - a full tumblerful.  I too thought I had learned to manage mine until the latest flare last August.  I have had to make changes, including more husk, probiotics and aloe vera juice, but now seem (fingers crossed) to have it back under control and pain free.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Janet the psyllium husk is the reason your colon gets cleared out so it seems you would want to take it during a flare up so the infected area can heal faster and get you back to normal. Again clean colon means no divertic.

Get your bowels moving quickly and efficiently with the husk during a flare up. Move all the fecal out of the colon which is causing the flare up. Remember twice a day once morning and once night. This is the reason your not getting anymore flare ups and you know it.

• Posted

Yes I agree it is a stool softener and unlike the other laxative it will hopefully bulk up my stool. My problem is I'm finding that after using senokot I still have pain. I also find that my bowels don't empty fully.

I'm hoping to get this pain under control by eliminating waste products from my colon as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your advice this group has been a God sent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.