Diverticulosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is there a help line please ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes How can I help?

• Posted

My flare up has been 4 weeks now 3 days on liquid last week then finished antibio.thought I was clear .Then 5 times to the loo yesterday and last lot small amount of fresh blood again.....so so depressed cannot stop crying and cannot function.scared to eat scared to go out. Was diagnosed last year. This is the first flare up.
  • Posted

The first flare up is always so scary and painful and it knocks you for a loop.  My heart goes out to you, Gloria. For the first 2 days I only had sterilized water.  I went on clear (home made chicken) broths (although the latest flare up I broke down and bought the canned broths but I wasn't that sick this time) , jello and herbal teas... I even made sure my water was sterilized.  I didn't get on any solids for a couple of weeks, since I was not sure my intestine had healed.  Then I started very slowly with 5 soda crackers with my broth.  After 24 hours I added 2 more crackers and started with strained baby food green beans... just a couple of tablespoons.  After 24 hours I added strained carrot baby food.  As long as I wasn't cramping or having blood or any of the symptoms I just added foods that I knew were safe.  It took a month before I was eating more normally. 

Along with the DD meds I made sure I had probiotics.... NOT at the same time as the meds since they would work against each other. 

No ibuprofen!

acetominophen helps for pain

No caffeine

No carbonated beverage

Cut out sugar

When I started to be able to tolerate the baby foods I bought some psyllium powder (flavoured:  because... ick) and use that to bulk up my fibre in a gentle way to make sure that what is inside my gut gets pushed gently down and past the diverticula preventing a build up and cleaning me out:  it regulates my stool as I had diarrhea for 10 yrs... I never was constipated.  This product works for both.)

Rest Rest Rest and sleep sleep sleep  your body needs to mend, hon.

Going to the loo 8 times a day is not unusual for me when I am unwell.  I wear ultra absorbant pads all the time.  I use vaseline to help stop irritation from going to the loo so much and I wear ultra thick pads as protection.  I don't go anywhere for a few days and for the time that I am feeling the pain and having other discomforts, I stay at home as much as I can.  I am lucky because I am retired.

Gloria, you will recover from this flare up with a lot of care and attention.  I always remember that, although I feel better, my gut has to heal and it takes time.  But I do feel better and things go back to normal after the flare up and until I have another one.  I will tell you that my flare ups have been NOTHING compared to that horrible one where I was in the hospital and on iv's and I really thought I was going to die.  This is because I pay strong attention to how my gut is feeling and the second I think I feel  "that feeling"  I go on liquids for a couple of days... I just don't take the chance.

I was so scared to eat anything, Gloria.   I really understand how you feel.  I know the frustration and fear and feeling of helplessness that nothing seems to work for you.  We all really do here.  You are scared to eat and that may be a good thing right now... easier to stick to a liquid diet when you are afraid to eat solids, right?  I also had to stop my anti anxiety meds as there were contraindications to taking them with the cipro and flagyl.  But I was not affected badly by that, oddly enough. 

Home made chicken broth/stock:  meat on bones (I have this available, frozen, at all times in the event of a flare up.... I know you don't feel like making stock or broth right now, Gloria.  Use canned broth for now but have this ready, hon... there are a lot of nutrients in home-made stock/broth.)

- bake the chicken first

- carrots, celery, green beans

- put everything in a large pot or crock pot and cook for HOURS!  Crock pot is best for me.

- if you use a crock pot keep the soup cooking for about 48 hours

- strain and do what you will with the solids

- cool the broth/stock and skim off the fats

- warm up and eat

I would make sure I talked to my doctor about blood in stools, just to reassure myself.

• Posted

Thankyou for all that. Have made chicken soup last wèek and in fridge. But not eating anything for over 24 hrs. Dr given me more antibiotics will start them tomorrow (Metorphtzone) guess how to spell it ? On them last week. Drinking lots of herbal tea.

• Posted

My first year was like what you are experiencing. Here is what has helped me. Betaine HCL tablets (Source Naturals from Life Extension) 1 or more after each meal, 1 prior to bed at night and often 2 or 3 during the night. Fermented cabbage juice, (make my own). Colloidal Silver, 1 tablespoon 3 times a day. I am also trying Bentonite clay twice a day. VSL#3 probiotics and a good prebiotic. I am considering trying a Colonic.  I have not used antibiotics as they kill the good bacteria. I wish you well dear lady.

• Posted

I have diverticulitis and IBS. I have bad pain in my lower abdomen right in the middle, gas, and bloating. I even have pelvic and joint pain. Also, I have pain in my mid to lower back. I keep googling all my symptoms and it could be like 10 different things. I'm going crazy worrying. I ate a doughnut today and that made the bloating and pain start again. I had horrible pain last night in my abdomen where I couldn't sleep much and I didn't even eat dinner. My pain seems much worse at night. Why is that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.