Diverticulosis and new job

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have to pass a physical to get a new job as a bus driver. Do I have to tell them about diverticulosis ? I dont get sick that often

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Definitely disclose your diverticulosis. It is better to be honest with your employer rather than hiding anything especially as you have great responsibility driving passengers to their various destinations. If you did have a flare up and it was found out you had not declared your condition, it could have consequences for your job if your illness affected your performance and the safety of your passengers.

• Posted

It's your responsibility to assess whether or not you can drive safely, and no one else's . If you were asking me which you are not then I would doubt that Diverticulosis would create any major hazard. It might at times make you uncomfortable but that in itself doesn't make you a danger to anyone. I was a driver myself for over 45 years and unknown to me I suffered from a serious illness which created blood pressure of 380/ 280 + no one ever questioned my condition outside the times of licence renewal. Eventually I ended up with total kidney failure which I could not ignore.

Good luck and try to keep calm, E

• Posted

It's your responsibility to assess whether or not you can drive safely, and no one else's . If you were asking me which you are not then I would doubt that Diverticulosis would create any major hazard. It might at times make you uncomfortable but that in itself doesn't make you a danger to anyone. I was a driver myself for over 45 years and unknown to me I suffered from a serious illness which created blood pressure of 380/ 280 + no one ever questioned my condition outside the times of licence renewal. Eventually I ended up with total kidney failure which I could not ignore.

Good luck and try to keep calm, E

• Posted

I have Diverticular Disease and worked for Stagecoach for 7 years. Everyone was required to undertake a full medical when you should disclose your diverticulosis and all the medication you take, as it is required for Company Insurance purposes. As 50% of people over 50 have it I cannot see it being a problem. There were drivers there with many different controlled medical conditions. But the company does have a duty to the public and to cover itself. Certainly DD never was raised as a problem in the Depot I worked at. You will also be subject to random drugs and alcohol tests for which there is zero tolerance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.