Diverticulosis Diets & Recipes

Posted , 2 users are following.

Following a colonoscopy, I have been diagnosed as having Divertuculosis.

The information sheet that I was given re diets etc was very scarce in terms of details and advice re diets. On searching the web I found it very difficult in getting UK based info re diets plans or recipe books or there being a major UK forum/group that one can get advise from. Any ideas?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi 'chisbo',

Information sheet? "You were lucky!..." (some Monty Python sketch will come to mind). You've come to the same conclusion many of us have: It's a complex disorder in terms of how it affects individuals and how they cope with managing it. I'm mid-50s now and was colonoscopically(!) diagnosed a few years ago. Now that investigation in itself was badly managed. Yes, I was told I had pocketing, but nothing as to how severe the instances were. In my few years of trial-and-error management, I've read my signs quite well and found that I have never suffered acute Diverticulitis in that time. I put this down not to how much I've taken out of my diet, but rather, how frequently I press the reset button - ie evacuate all accumulation to that point - and therefore (hopefully) keeping a healthy gut - albeit, deformed. I seem quite rare in using this strategy as a (roughly) weekly 'reset' but I've not yet been to hospital to deal with Diverticulitis. No antibiotics since the original flurry surrounding the event that led to the colonoscopy. I put this down to a fairly powerful stimulant laxative with a generic name of Bisacodyl - typically available as 'Dulcolax'. Most people using the bulking laxatives (like Fybogel) seem aghast at this. But to be pragmatic - Diverticulosis is not 'going away' without surgery (imho), so why deny the efficacy (and downright relief!) of knowing that you are 'cleared through'! The only management issue then is, "when can I afford to have a day at home?" For whatever sins I've committed, I'm also registered blind, so the 9-to-5 nuisance has long been circumvented! Now replaced by this new management chore!

You will see lots of dietary opinion shared here. Some of it will help, it's just a metter of trial. All I would emphasise is that the disorder does cause stuff to rot in affected areas, and so the evacuation must happen more frequently than it takes for that stuff to rot. Makes sense? I find that 'weekly' is frequent enough, assuming there is some daily output for, say, the first five days in that cycle. That's my methodology. No medic said do it that way, but then it seems no medic gets it right re how how to manage this disorder in a one-size-fits-all prescription - I think you'll agree. :-(

That was a bit of a long one!

Good luck,

Pete.

• Posted

Hi CHisbo.

Lots of help on the Divi Diners forum

Go to the Divericula forum .scroll down, and you will find it Click on, And Read 

Lots of help to keep you fed 

• Posted

Hi I am having colonoscopy on Tuesday, scared stiff as all the horror stories you hear are scary, I know I should not look for them, but am drawn to these forums at present, gp reckons it is diverticula disease and symptoms match friend who has it, I made a big mistake on Thursday and had tuna and sweet corn sandwich, felt pains on friday, so sweet corn is a no no for me as it has happened before, my friend juices everything and seems better for that, I expect I will find out on Tuesday where to go next. Hope you find what works for you. 
    • Posted

Hi youngatheart1. Whilst everyone's experience will be different I can honesty say that my Colonoscopy was carried out with great care and with only a mild discomfort. You will probably be sedated and hopefully the nursing and medical staff looking after you will be as kind and caring as mine. Hope that the procedure goes well with a positive outcome.
    • Posted

you will be fine .You can watch the screen and have a look up your own 

backside ,very surprising it was too. you may squeak a tad when the camera goes round the bends ,but there is the gas and air to suck on. 

Keep coming to the forums ,and LAY OFF the sweetcorn, and anything else with skins on  Come back when you have ""BEEN DONE""cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi thanks for your kinds words of reassurance, I know I will be fine as I do tend to worry a bit and things are never that bad, sweet corn was what started all this off as the pain was really mild until I had undercooked sweet corn off the BBQ and boy was I in trouble. I love the stuff so perhaps I will blitz if and spread it like butter lol. I will come back and let you know how I get on, it is good to know that other people are in the same situation and be able to talk things through
  • Posted

Hi all. Colonoscopy done, not bad after all apart from the prep, did not know you could wee out your bum, or at least that's what it felt like lol. Diverticula disease confirmed which is best result for me, nothing in bowel or anything so pleased. Did take biopsies so when I pass wind a bit of bloody diarrhea is there, but think that is normal, so having a restful day. I did notice when eating bland food before prep I felt more comfortable, so will go down that route with occasional treats etc. Also find fybogel in the evening good. I did get information sheet which said no seeds, skins etc and I think that's how I ended up in so much pain as I was trying to be healthy eating seeded breads, nuts, sweet corn etc, so just have to stay more wobbly than I would like. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.