Diverticulosis disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been for a sigmoidoscopy today which revealed Diverticulosis disease. The process was quite painful so he stopped and has referred me for cat scan on my colon. I also have a gnawing pain just below my sternum and i wondered if anyone else has had these symptoms. I'm so scared it's bowel cancer. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your symptoms may be due to diverticulosis if that is what has shown up on the scan.  He may have referred you for a cat scan instead if if the sigmoidoscopy was too painful for you,  A cat scan is not so invasive.  I think if he had suspected bowel cancer, he would have told you that is what he was looking for.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with diverticular disease 6 years ago and it can be managed, like you during a colonoscopy they found it difficult to get right round the large intestine, don't worry, bowel cancer is very slim. You can get flare ups of diverticular and you end up hospitalised for intravenous drugs. However I've had 3 flare ups recently but now know when it's happening so I alert my doctor and he prescribes a course of ante biotics which do the trick, it can be managed, you will get there I promise xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Try not to worry.

Having googled the life out of my symptoms the burning sensation you describe below your sternum souns more in line with a gastric ulcer. See if it's relieved by antacids or have some lansoprazole/omeprazole prescribed by your GP. Hope this helps:-)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Having spent the evening with doctor Google I ended up in a right state! I already take 20mg

Omeprazole daily which stops the acid but not the gnawing pain. Maybe if I increase the dose it may help. Thank you for your help it does really help having some feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.