DIVI DINERS WINNERS

Posted , 9 users are following.

After a year of NO pain NO flares.NO hospital visits, I am happy to say

thay /WE the contributors to the Divi Diners have got the disease

under the thumb Thanks to everyone's ideas ,do's and dont's with food.

We have all become a bit more adventurous with what we eat

I think there are three important steps that we now all seem to follow

and are all the better for them 

By far is the use of ACIDOPHULIS, controlling the bad bugs. I take two a day ,and never miss a dose.

Second,  is keeping the bowels moving, and as empty as possible. I

think we all have our favourite laxative,I find LACTULOSE gentle 

and effective

Thirdly ,is the food we send down, I am not as physcotic as I used to be. but I do just think , if anything could get into a pouch,and cause

bother 

We all deserve a pat on the back for controlling this awful condition,

but, I think we are winning, NO thanks to the medicals

Jacqueline  

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have tried replying to Jaqueline and Justin but for some reason my messages are not going when I press "Reply" , maybe it is because there is one awaiting to be moderated. I will have to try later but meanwhile hope this one goes.

• Posted

Could I ask all you lovely people in this discussion, what sort of meals you eat please?

Any suggestions for small meals rather than 3 larger  meals would be helpful.

Do any of you eat red meat?  I am eating chicken or fish at the moment as I read that red meat takes such a long while to go throughj the digestive system.

Thank you

Phyllis

• Posted

Hi Phylis1936, 

I am in my mid 50's and have had this condition for over 10 years, the Doctors just kept prescribing anibiotics every time I said ouch! I took charge and watched my body for signs of what Makes me Flare up each person has different triggers] , one of the things is I rarely eat Large meals, I eat about every hr, a bannana, an apple [i have no problems with the skins /others do ] , oatmeal, tuna with very little mayo, [i find very fatty foods do not digest well] , I take 4-6 metamucle fiber pills a day, I eat a yogurt a day, cottage cheese & peaches, raw carrots, and or snap peas, pasta salads , Protein or what I call crunchyy bars, I like special k one, but there are many others. but I am now being told I am pre diabetic, so I am trying to cut out the white flour products sad , but I think you are on the right track with small more frequent meals instead of 3 a day, it seems as we grow older our guts just don't have the musle to break down the heavy large meals, and that can be very uncomfortable if not painful , Stress is a large factor for me too ,no matter what I do , if I am extremley stressed out , I have problems going, and discomfort & pain, along with skinny bowel movements that signal swelling , Hope I have been helpful, if you can think of any small meals i can add to my diet I will gladly try , since my diet is so limited I feel a little cheated, but its better than pain, Good luck my friend. 

• Posted

Hi Melly,

Thank you for your reply,  I have stated eating Yoghurts but have now received my high dose probiotic capsules, so will start taking those tomorrow.  I don 't think that I tolerate salads very well and a few years ago a nutritionist suggested that I didn't eat salads.  I love tomatoes and celery but are still not sure about those.  I find that a lot of fruit nowadays is rather tasteless and I have to peel apples and pears anyway.  I make vegetable soup and then blend it smooth and add a dash of low fat creme` fresh.  I used to have it with home made wholemeal bread but will now have either oat cakes or light crackers.  I have come to the conclusion that whatever bread I eat (maybe too much) congests up my system.  Have not eaten any for about 4 days and feel a lot better, although I do love bread. It is still a bit trial and error with me at the moment but I determined to find a diet that will make me feel a lot better.  I have also stopped eating red meat but eat chicken and fish.  I am not sure about bananas but do eat those sometimes as I love bananas.  I love carrots and eat a lot of those but cooked.  I did eat a lot of peas but have stopped for the moment as maybe they are causing problems. I can't eat sweetcorn, that gives me awful pain.  Or coleslaw.

I bought some Lactulose today but not too sure about taking it once I read the leaflet.

Stewed Apple is good but I can't eat it without quite a bit of sugar which is not ideal.

I am a lot older that you (just turned 81) so my system is problem slower to work nowadays than yours.  I am also under a lot of stress as my husband has early Altzeimers so I am the chief cook and bottle washer around here.  Our youngest son is going through a divorce and there have been some difficult times which has also caused me to worry.

For years I have tried to eat high fibre but now think that it could have done more harm than good, after reading an article in the Daily Mail.  I am trying to keep a record of what I eat each day now to see what happens.  The trouble is, that there is no one answer for everyone with this disease.

You also now have an extra problem with being pre- diabetic.

Prune juice acts like dynamite to my system and I wouldn't drink even a small glass of that and then go out but I have drunk it when I have felt really congested and sluggish and headachy.

It is hard to stop eating 3 meals a day and try maybe six smaller meals but I am still trying.  

I don't know whether or not I have been helpful as I it is still trial and error me but if it works, I will let you know.

Phyllis

• Posted

I eat a lot of fish and chicken but also have low fat minced beef in cottage pie, on jacket potatoes etc which hasn't caused me any problems so far. Steak my favourite caused me huge pain so i have had to give it up I'm afraid. I eat little and often and never have 3 meals anymore, again it works for me. Things like poached egg on whole meal bread, poached fish and veg, bran flakes, ham and veg. I'm never hungry.

• Posted

I eat fish and chicken but have given up on red meat as it seemed to make me even more sluggish.  I do miss minced beef as a lot can be done with it.  I did try substituting with Turkey mince but didn't like it very much. I think that I will try the minced beef again as it didn't actually make unwell or give me pain.  Especially as it is a nuisance making different meals for my husband as he won't eat chicken cooked any way.

• Posted

Just found this group and it sounds very positive
    • Posted

Hi Carole its very good,even if its just support and knowing you are not the only one with this horrible disease,it affects everyone a bit different with which foods do and dont bother you.Ive just had a bit of a flare recently but on the way to feeling better now.
  • Posted

Have just found this discussion - with much relief! I was diagnosed with severe sigmoid diverticula disease last February and for a while seemed to be getting on rather well. I am gluten free too so getting my diet right has been really difficult. I had a flare up, needing antibiotics several weeks ago and responded well but again am feeling pain & nausea. I never know from day to day whether I will need to visit the loo multiple times or not at all - very frustrating. Am 66 by the way.

This discussion has been a real eye opener - have never had any guidance from medics. Seems I've been eating quite a bit of bad stuff including skins - love baked beans & jacket potatoes!! And wine seems to upset me - as much as I love it & too much sugary stuff. Am already taking a high grade Acidophilus. 

When do you decide to go to docs for antibiotics ? Am taking paracetamol at the moment but don't want to leave it too late. What a quandry is this DD? Thanks for your guidance.

• Posted

Hi Sue,not everyone has problems with skins and nuts,im fine with both but i too have a problem with high fat foods,red meat and wine,im afraid its a process of elimination.If  in doubt go back to the doctors.
    • Posted

Thanks Yvonne - have found my GP woefully ignorant. Am grateful for this forum.
    • Posted

I try to stay away from the doc, unless I have acute pain, or have fever, I do not think taking those harsh antibiotics all the time is good for you, I even think they helped my husband along to having a deacesed and absest colon that he had to have removed, they kept giving him anti b's every couple of months and it alway s came back worst each time. So I only go if I have fever, severe pain, or stop being able to go to the bathroom, but like all these discussion state it is different for all of us, pay attention to your body, the for sure way for them to know you have and infection rather than a flare is a blood test with white blood count up & cat scans., 'Good Luck , Hope you fell better & find your balance soon 

• Posted

Hi guys I have suffered from diverticular for sometime but on my last CT scan my diverticular has actually completely cleared as in no more pouches! Have been unable to eat food since January and been living on Ensure plus which I had to fight tooth and nail to get prescribed from Gp, its just unbelievable to be honest. I have lost over 24kg and on the brink on of loosing my nursing job. But anyway as I said my div pouches have completely gone, and I'm now slowly introducting liquid diet. I tried to list the stuff I used but the moderators keep deleting my messages so I gave up I guess you guys are free to messages me, as I'm new to the site ha e no idea how this works.

• Posted

Hi Tichy,

A surgeon told me that this condition could be cured by the body. Good news.What is Ensure plus? Is it a protein shake?

​Ive only just recovered from my first attack and am finding the lower gut isnt working properly.So im having to find new ways.Will you go back to eating porridge etc.?

• Posted

Hi there,thats is unbelievable that the pouches have gone,i was told this was a life long disease,I have private messaged you about the products you took.
    • Posted

How do you private message, would love to know what the products are to kick this awful condition into touch ?X
    • Posted

Hi Robert,if you click on the persons name you wish to message you will see a little envelope at the top left handside of their profile ,click on that and you can message them.
    • Posted

The pouches DON'T go away, I think you need to get a colonoscopy to see what is really going on in there, you may be so swollen that the cat scan cant see them ,or absesst, cat scan does not show that, I hope you can get a colonoscopy, and you should try to get one by a GI that also does the surgery . Hope you get some help soon 

• Posted

Yes Justin , Ensure is a protein shake, but has other nutrients & stuff it is often given as diet supplement if someone  can not tolorate solid food sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.