Diziness on week 4 of sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

I just passed week four on 50mg and I noticed sometimes I get dizzy, especially when standing up. I read it might be caused by low blood pressure and some advise to stop the medication, but I can't contact my GP until January 2nd.

It's not very bad, has this happened to anybody before and went away on its own? Would eating more salt help it?

Thanks and Happy New Year everybody 😃

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

yes this has happened to me and yes it goes away. I look upon anything that is a new pain or a different feeling this way, if it was something really wrong and not just a side effect it would happen all the time, would be there all the time and would get worse. So do not worry it will be ok, it is just our over active minds trying to be negative again. wishing you a calm and happy new year we will all get there because we are the strong x

• Posted

You are just like myself....... a worrier.

I commented on your last post regarding coming of these due to you feeling fatigued.

You are at week 4 which means you should be coming to the end of the worse of the side effects. There may be some such as what I am experiencing with weight gain that will take a bit more work to deal with. But dizziness "could" be many things BUT you know deep down the only change is the Sertraline. I also have what I call lightheadeness (spaced out) the room doesn't actually spin but I feel wavey if that makes sense although it is now easing off but I sometimes take diazepam if It gets to much.

I have literally being back to my Doctor today regarding the weight gain and I have been tokd again this is one of the safer SSRI's (others have many more side effect possibilities, not to say you will experience them but sertraline are suitable for children and even pregnant women)

By all accounts my choices were (and im sure your doc will say the same)

1 - Change tablets but possibly experience more and worse side effects

2 - Stop the tablets and deal with anxiety (not advised by my doctor)

3 - Continue on them.

I opted for option 3 but have agreed to increase the dosage to 100mg, according to my doctor 50mg is normally a starting point and they can go up to 200mg but find 100mg is optimum for the majority of users. Again I was able to get another 14 2mg diazepam but the doctor really dont want me using them unless I really need to.

Maybe ask your doc for some diazepam to help with the side effects also if you are unwell (even a cold) it can make things worse

Again if you want a chat or have any questions shoot me a message. Just keep strong you done the worse part by taking them!

Happy New Year and may 2019 be a better year hopefully

• Posted

Thanks, Tom!

I always think too much and try to be prepared for everything! You were right, the dizziness went away, and I think I start to feel better.

I didn't see any weight gain until now, but it's too soon to tell. But the way you gained weight I am sure it is from them, even if you ate more than usual. It happened to me with some other treatment. Maybe keeping track of what you eat or a nutritionist might help?

Good luck!

• Posted

same, starting week 5 now and still have dizzy spells, most of the other side effects have gone but still get dizzy when i get up

• Posted

same, im starting week 5 and i still get dizzy when i stand up, all the other side effects have gone bar dizziness

occassional pain behind the eyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.