dizziness

Posted , 14 users are following.

Well folks went to the doctors yesterday broke down in tears so fed up of being dizzy my doctor wants me to see a counsillor i have had dizziness for a year now lost my job through it as well what is a counsillor going to do nothing not coping very well at the mo feel like screaming but no1 listens wish i could feel normal again dont go out dont see any1 feel so sorry for my daughter shes 12 we got no quality of life at the moment its really starting to crack me up any ideas to make the dizziness ease.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Alison.... So sorry to hear this .... I too lost my job, I had to walk away from it no one understood 😞. That was 4 years ago! I struggled for years with it not realising that It was connected with all the other symptoms of menopause. Firstly, You need to see another Doctor, even just for a 2nd opinion as it is quite shocking the amount of doctors who just don't have a clue what we go through in menopause. Mine had that blank expression that says " eh! ". My off balance/ lightheadedness/spaced out/ blurred vision caused me to have a total melt down, I was so worried that my anxiety went through the roof. I had no clue what the hell was happening to me. Anyway, I am a lot better now than what I was 2 years ago when I could not function. This sight saved me!! Without the ladies on here, those that took the time to listen & share their own stories made a huge difference to me. I am truly grateful to all of them. You will get through this, try and be strong it doesn't matter if you breakdown, you are human after all and you are not alone. ... Ask questions, write down symptoms and go back and see another Doctor a female, & if poss one over 45! Sending huge hugs & keep talking to us! 😊xx
  • Posted

Hi Alison

I have recently been there and done that! I managed to see a neurologist yesterday she was very good she thinks I have a middle ear infection and not labrithitis !

She now thinks I have migrane with vertigo ! Can you confirm you have seen a neuorlgist ? There are very could and can usually get it down to two or three possible things

Once they have done a brain scan and it's clear there is only a few things it can be ie lab bppv or middle ear

It does get better

• Posted

Have you tried the Epley Maneuver. My case seems not as bad as yours; it's been  or 7 weeks. I do the Epley Maneuver every day, and I am improving a lot. I have fewer dizzy spells and they are much weaker. I learned how to do it on YouTube and my Physical Therapist also went over it with me twice.
  • Posted

Hi Alison

So sorry to hear you are having such a terrible time.  I can understand and sympathise with your situation.  I too suffer from vertigo as well as migraine and tinnitus.  I had to give up my job five years ago when my condition went into a permanent state.  I was fortunately that I was able to take early retirement and my children are adults. I understand the pressure you must feel not being able to do the things you want to with your daughter but you will be able to in the future.

Although it can be frustrating trying to get a diagnosis I do have some sympathy for the medical profession.  Usually, their priority is to rule out anything serious or life threatening.  Personally, I received a lot of support from my GP who referred me to a consultant for an MRI and then a neurologist.

The problem with this type of illness is that symptoms may be similar or the same but there are so many causes.  Inner ear infection and labrinthitis can be a trigger and the damage can remain long after the infection has cleared up. 

As Trevis said, the symptoms can be linked to the menopause.  As it happened, my symptoms did get worse after I went into the menopause but there were other stress triggers which may have had a bearing.  I've had migraines and sinus problems from childhood and this may have gradually progressed to my current problems.  Also, I spent much of my younger years as an audio typist/secretary, often in a very busy office with lots of other background noises. This could have caused damage but I will never really know.

Although it may seem impossible now you will eventually get better, particularly as you are still young. Do take the advice given by the medical profession.  If one medication does not work they may try you on something else.  It sometimes take a little while for things to begin to work so don't give up too soon. I have gradually improved through a variety of medication, physio, acupuncture and chiropractic treatment among other things. I was unable to drive for two years but now I'm able to drive again, although I'm still not confident to go back on the motorway.

It is important that those around you understand that things are out of your control and give you whatever support they can and that will help you in your recovery.

All the best and try to be optimistic for the future.

• Posted

Hello Ms. Alison,

My name is Ben, I live in Michigan. I am sorry to hear you have come down with this nasty invader at such a young age and at a time when you are really needed as a parent.  I am very thankful that I came down with it much later, and that I have been blessed with an employer that is giving me the time I need to get over it.  (going on 17 months now)   

I am currently diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis, which is a fancy way of saying I have swelling of my balance nerve.  I started with room spinning for a couple days and then double vision and then just trouble trying to read because my eyes were jumping back and forth in the sentence.  Now I am feeling light headed and a little dizzy, but mostly I feel as though my head keeps moving after I stop either turning my head or bending over, and there seems to be a lot of competition for my concentration. I used to be quick to come back with answers or remarks, now I just sit there, I can't do several things at the same time.  I have a one track mind at present. It has been 1 year +  4 months to get to this point.

I had many tests like MRI, CAT SCAN, Hearing, caloric, rotating chair, blood work and I even had a sleep study done. Saw GP, ENT, Neurologist, Physical Therapy and then did much of it all over again for a 2nd opinion.  I was first diagnosed with Meniere's disease, which is either a thickening of the fluid of the inner ear, too much fluid in there or pressure on the fluid from weak walls of the inner ear.  I was told to take Lipo-Flavonoid, which is a brand name product that is supposed to thin the liquid out so it can drain and isn't causing swelling of the inner ear.  Also, I was told to stop caffeine, salt and sugar intake as much as possible.

Meniere's disease is caused by an ongoing allergy or chronic low-grade infection making conditions right for a swelling of the vessels in the inner ear and then you feel like your ears are "full" or pressured, because the fluid cannot move through the swelled vessels.  The drug Lipo-Flavinoid is supposed to help with this and it supposedly helps stop Tinnitus, that ringing or hissing sound.  My own personal experience with this is that if you do the exercises that they prescribe it will make you feel worse while you do them, but it will help in the longer term.  If you have the BPPV, a few simple maneuvers will actually put the out of place crystals either back into place or somewhere where they don't cause the false signals that make you feel unbalanced and woozy.  I am not that lucky.  

My 2nd diagnosis is Vestibular neuritis and that is a lot harder to overcome. The exercises I do now involve looking close and away many many times trying to keep the things in focus while I am moving around.  So I am walking and looking up, down, left, right, close up and far away, and believe me it is a challenge. I used to be a race car driver.  I have several very quick and fast cars, but I dare not drive any of them.  I cannot drive fast or accelerate quickly anymore. I am able to drive, but I have to keep my attention focused on staying in my own lane and not too close to the car in front of me, and never very fast.  I am so slow to get my focus back and concentrate on the car ahead of me, that I absolutely will not look around at things passing by, it takes too long to get my concentration back on the car ahead of me or keep myself in my own lane. Just looking in the rear view mirrors is trouble enough.  When someone cuts in in front of me or cuts through making a left turn in a hurry I almost hit them, I don't see them in time to even put my foot on the brake befor they are through.  I am not a good driver now.

Ms. Alison, what I have done here is try to offer you some of the solutions that I have found for the the dizziness, and give you some insight into what it takes to get on with your life and hopefully recover. You must use the medical professionals, as weak and unable as they may seem, to try to rule out the other possibilities.  Then work through the relearning and rehabilitation to make yourself better.  I am much better than I once was, and I tried to show you how long it took to get to where I am now and what I did to get there.  

I would give you web sites to go to but this forum will stop the whole posting, they don't allow websites to post, so I will just ask you to read what other's have posted and go to google and look up all the new names, diseases, maneuvers etc and become knowledgeable about them.  It will give you a better sense of what's going on and make you feel more confident about the eventual outcome.

So, please have faith and keep a positive mental attitude, you will get better.

Ben

• Posted

Well ben youve brought me to tears tonight in a nice way you seem such a caring person to send what you sent me thank you x
    • Posted

Hi Ben,

"I would give you web sites to go to but this forum will stop the whole posting, they don't allow websites to post"

Posts with links will go for moderation while the link is checked. As long as the link complies with the rules it will be approved. If the link is not suitable we will remove it and comment on the post as such. You can also use the Private Message service to exchange links. There is a link to FAQs at the bottom of every page in the forums with more info about this.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alison17886

I am dealing with similar symptoms . I have been to many doctors . Still no answers. Would love to know if you or anybody that reads this post has any answers. Very frustrated!

• Posted

Hi I am reading all these blogs and saying to myself ok they have the same thing. The lightheaded off balance just not right feeling . I don't drive to far because i fear I wont be able to . I am hoping to hear from people who are experiencing this and what they doing or if they got any answers.  I see some of these blog old if there is anyone following them  drop a line . Love to hear from you. 

• Posted

Hi, I see this is an old conversation but I'd love to hear if anyone is feeling better!! I too, have Vertigo and was just in the ER Thursday, looking for answers! I totally can relate to everything that has been said here and agree it is very frustrating... My first Vertigo attack was in 1998, been light headed and dizzy spells ever since. 2 Vertigo attacks that lasted 5 hours each since 1998 and then nothing for a few years then bam, Thursday another, out of the blue! Very scary and debilitating. I've seen many doctors and had many tests, they tell me I have anxiety induced vertigo. I take Klonopin once a day and had to take Meclizine Thursday. I also have Fibromyalgia. I am always light headed, brain fog, tired eyes, etc. Has anyone found any real help?? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.