dizziness

Posted , 12 users are following.

have had PMR for just under a year and thankfully am now off all meds and only get very minimial pain mainly in one finger and left hand. What I do get when I am tired and exercising is  dizziness  for about 15 seconds and  if I dont stop exercisisng have fainted......does anyone else have this problem.....never had it before I was diagnosed

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just the last few days I have been having dizzy spells while walking or having to stand for long periods as I did at a pre-election rally yesterday.  On 9 mg pred.  But I am getting my iron level checked as that is most likely to be the cause of my faintness.  Hopefully your causes of dizziness will be equally easy to determine and treat!
    • Posted

not the only one hopnig it is easy to diagnose........from oz so i take it fro the pre elecion comment u r from the states....do you have support networks over there.
  • Posted

As we age so many things happin. Have they ruled ot blood sugar as a cause?
    • Posted

age in my case dan isnt really an issue as I am only 54 ...all bloods are currently good but thanks for taking the time to respond

• Posted

Hi Ray,

That's great that you're off all meds after less than a year, is that quite unusual?? I do get a bit light headed but i put it down to anxiety so don't know if it's something PMR causes. Between my op, i had pneumonia that had complications and went into an empyema, pussy abscess in the pleura and they couldn't aspirate it so i had to have a mini thoracotomy and a rib resection (taken out) to access and scrape the pleura.....SO i've been on Tramadol 150mg in the morn and 150mg at night since the op March '14 so i never know whether to blame that for dizziness either...i'm like a walking pharmacy..!! I also have an anti depressent, it could be that..i just don't know. I take tablets for high blood pressure but i haven't had it checked for months and i'm sure the doctor had said at the beginning either the PMR or the steroids could affect the BP...can i ask you what age you are? I just turned 52 in August there so i think quite young for PMR... 

• Posted

" I just turned 52 in August there so i think quite young for PMR... "

According to the medics maybe, according to our observations, really probably not. And I am sure that there are many younger PMR patients out there with labels of depression, fibromyalgia, menopausal symptoms and hysteria/hypochondria. Why? Because they aren't looking for PMR in younger patients - if you don't seek, you won't find.

• Posted

I was just turned 51 when diagnosed.... there's a few of us young folk out there!
    • Posted

yeah issy i was diagnoised at 53 and now am 54 and from what I can gather it is young but to be frank I think then medical boys and girls are still working on the whole understanding thing yet which is good  but frustrating to jokers like us ....but hey we're still breathing ....

• Posted

Every web page says it's an elderly affliction but i know the same week as i was diagnosed my sisters friend was diagnosed and she's 55...so not sure where they're getting they're 'facts' Are you in Britain?

• Posted

no issy i live just north of Brisbane Australia.....land down under mate...i have been to britain but ...bit cold for me but good place to visit though......loved the pints.........phew  

• Posted

The received wisdom amongst the medics who work in the field is that it is a disease of the "elderly" and in the medical world that is conventionally 65. In the case of PMR it isn't helped by the fact that in the literature it is claimed "the average age of onset is 73". Those of us who understand staistics realise that means that it is possible, even likely, there are younger patients to get that figure when large numbers of over 70s have it! They don't LOOK for PMR in under 60s so they don't FIND it. I was 51 when it started - it took over 5 years to get a diagnosis and even then it was disputed in the UK.

"From a chronological viewpoint, medical treatment of the elderly (geriatrics) starts from the age of 65 years old. This definition per se is nowadays certainly not really an adequate definition of an elderly patient and the reason to be treated by a geriatrician. In addition to chronological age, other factors must be considered in order to define the elderly patient. Functional reserves decrease with age, which leads to increased vulnerability. Frailty as a term describes this situation and can be defined pathophysiologically by a mainly subclinical inflammatory state. Therefore, in 2007 the German Society of Geriatrics (DGG), the German Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics (DGGG), and the German Group of Geriatric Institutions (BAG) have jointly developed a definition of the geriatric patient."

so their definition makes patients with PMR (an inflammatory state) elderly!

In the past PMR was only really recognised in that age group - but in the last 10 years at most, probably more like 5 years, there has been an increasing realisation that far younger patients develop PMR and at the last revision of guidelines the previous "consider in over 55s" was changed to "over 50s" which is a start. As I say - when they aren't looking for PMR as an option, then many people get the wrong labels: fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, menopause, depression and so on, including "what do you expect at your age?"!

There are a lot of people out there with PMR who simply aren't considered old enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.