Dizziness

Posted , 7 users are following.

Been suffering with dizziness for 3years now and no better lost my job through it ive had enough I dont go outside my house im 49 feeling 90 feel as if my lifes over cant enjoy my grandkids ive seen so many doctors and no 1 knows whats wrong been on so many different tablets none of them have worked im so down its making me feel my life is over any help out there would be so much appreciated x

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison, you're not alone. I have been going thru the same thing since 2013. I have had everything checked: heart, eyes, scans of all sorts, even my wisdom teeth pulled.. it's odd how nobody can figure it out. I've been told it is vertigo, not vertigo, agoraphobia, then not agoraphobia. Who knows? However I did find out that I tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Keep your head up...you're not alone. Contact me if you need to vent...

Dennis

• Posted

Have we contacted before?  If not, maybe I can help.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Are your symptoms triggered by something, or continuous?  What tests have you done, and what were their results (audiograms, calorics, MRI/CT)?  Apart from dizziness, do you have other symptoms such as hearing loss, fullness, tinnitus?  What therapies have you done so far, which have failed?

• Posted

I tested positive on table tilt test, positive for Rocky mountain spotted fever. Feeling of being drunk without drinking.

Mri of head and ears- normal

Ct scan of head- normal

Audio test- normal

Vitamin B12 and D levels were low, but not too bad.

Stigmatism of the eyes were noted during laser dot goggle test. Recommended log roll therapy....no help.

Balance therapy performed, eye movement noticed, no help.

I also have compression of c4,c5 and c6 discs. Neck area around spinal cord pops when moved left/ right. That also triggers dizziness while sitting. I do notice more dizziness when looking up while walking.

• Posted

When you say that the table tilt test was positive, do you mean that your doctors saw specific involuntary eye movements in a specific movement?  If so, do you have more details?  This may be related to the dizziness when looking up while walking.

• Posted

The tilt test was to check if bp was changing while standing. Eye movement was more noticeable while laying down on left side. Eye movement was noticed when brought back to a sitting position. Basically after head movement there was involuntary eye movement.
    • Posted

I'm curious if that could be causing it. Maybe pinching of nerves??? That is my next step...

• Posted

Is there a report?  I need to know the exact type of eye movement (rotational, torsional, horizontal, vertical, and in which direction)?

Was benign paroxysmal positional vertigo mentioned as a diagnosis?  And if so what type (posterior or horizontal)?

• Posted

Report states:

Possible horizontal canal BPPV.

Nystagmus observed with left ear down.

Unilateral weakness 8% right ear.

Directional preponderance 3% to the left.

• Posted

And with a diagnosis of possible horizontal BPPV, what was the treatment they gave you for this?

• Posted

Caloric:

Right 7º peak

Left 13º peak

Position: left Slow phase velocity -5.3

Optokinetic: left SPV -18.0, right SPV 18.8

Tracking: Right 0.67, Left 0.80

• Posted

Did this help, at least temporarily?

• Posted

It helped for a short time. But it came back stronger. I don't want to leave my house now.

• Posted

The fact that it helped for a short time indicates that you have at least some form of BPPV.  There are several reasons why the therapeutic maneuvers are not permanently curative, not only this but your symptoms are stronger.  You may have more than one type of BPPV (both posterior and horizontal).  Another reason may be that the BPPV is affecting both ears instead of one.  A third reason may be that the otolith crystals that are moving around in your inner ear refuse to stay in their proper place and move out again.

Have you returned to your doctors, to inform them that it helped for a short time, but it came back stronger?

• Posted

Yes I have. I have seen 18 different doctors. A hearing and balance tech is the one that administered this test. She noted all findings, gave report to main doctor. He then notified me and stated all was normal. And to continue log rolls if it helps.
    • Posted

The doctor also stated that it may be something that I will have to live with.
    • Posted

Can you tell me who your main doctor was?

• Posted

Hello I have neen constantly dizzy for 3yrs I am house bound ive had mri scans xrays ever so many tests and nothing showed up im at my wits end ive had physio acupuncture which did help but they stopped.it after a year ive been on pitzofen serc propanalol nortriplene only thing that takes the edge off is stematil which they wont give me dr told me its a cover up not a cure id do anything for it to go any help at all would be soo appreciated my ears feel full behind and I just feel so imbalanced im afraid to go out x
    • Posted

Have you received a diagnosis?

• Posted

What did the audiogram show?  Is there ear ringing?

• Posted

Yes I have a high pitched whistle sometimes I am having visual problems when the dizziness is at its worse but they done the eply manouvre and said it was fine it feels like my vision goes like slow motion x
    • Posted

Did you do an audiogram?

• Posted

Hearing test with different sound frequencies (do you hear it or not sort of questions).

• Posted

Down at which frequencies (high or low)?

• Posted

Its affecting my appetite as well as feeling so sick with it its affecting my sleep as well x
    • Posted

Im getting very confused and and no concentrationat all x
    • Posted

It therefore appears that you do indeed have Meniere's disease.  If the medications you are taking are not helping, then you should consider intratympanic steroid injections (steroid injections through the ear drum).  This will go directly to the problem.  Has this been discussed with your doctors?

• Posted

Then apparently you are in the wrong place.  Where do you live?

• Posted

I am trying to find a good doctor near you.  I will get back to you.

• Posted

I found it very difficult finding someone in Wales, compared to other places, that has clearly published in this field.  If the hospital is close to where you are, I would suggest trying:

Dr Deepak Rajenderkumar

Audio-vestibular medicine

Medical secretaries

Denise

Welsh Hearing Institute (Audiology) University Hospital of Wales Heath Park CARDIFF CF14 4XW

029 2074 3474

07807 457952

• Posted

He told me I got to live with it x
    • Posted

I would not have expected this from someone at this level.

Is there somewhere outside Wales where you could go for this e.g. London, Nottingham etc.?  Is this practical for you?

• Posted

Id go anywhere but I dont know how to get in touch or if theyd see me but I sware to you thats what he told me x
    • Posted

If convenient, I can recommend a very good friend of mine in London.  There I know they can help you.

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Just reading thorugh your discussion with Dr Eletherio.  I see an excellent Consultant in Leicester, his name is Mr Rea (pronuounced Ray).  I have also been suffering with VN for over 2 years but am now able to get on with doing most things (work, social, drink etc).  Mr Rea helped me considerably.  He is noted asd one of the top consultants in the UK for this type of thing.

Best of luck

Laurence

• Posted

Hi Alison,

At the time I had Bupa through the company I worked for.  Unfortunately this ran out and I had to pay myself.  He does though see some on the NHS.  Look him up on the web, he is now a professor (Spires hospital Leicester).

Best wishes

Laurence

• Posted

What did he do for you that helped?

I'm going through the same thing myself.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.