Dizziness

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anyone had the steroid injection in the ear? I have right ear labs and had my 1st injection today. No dizziness t this moment but very nauseated since the procedure....

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tab3

I had 3 injections which were helpful for a time. Luckily I did not have any side effects from them. 

Good luck

Willow 

• Posted

I had them about a year ago....sometimes the fluid runs into ur that and u may have swallowed some or it its working and throwing your balance off a bit causing the nausea....ask the ent who did the injections..... it did help me for awhile...weird feeling but it helped
  • Posted

Dear tab3,

I've had many steroid injections, and it's been unpredictable in terms of immediate after-effects.  Most of the time I have none at all, but occasionally I have a few minutes of dizziness and nausea.  This past week I had some dizziness and nausea and waited in the waiting room for a little while before I left, and then I was fine.   Each time they give the injection, they inject a different quadrant of the ear drum.  I imagine then, that the needle always ends up in a slightly different place, which could account for the variations in after-effects.  

But overall, steroid injections have been my saving grace.  Not only have they radically reduced the frequency and intensity of my episodes, but they have resulted in decreased tinnitus and improvement in my hearing — a bonus that I never expected!  I recommend sticking with them for a while.  It took several injections at 4 week intervals before I felt a huge difference....but then, it was amazing!

I tend to get nauseous very easily, and I have found Glycopyyrolate to be the best anti-nausea medication for me...and I've tried a lot of them!  Perhaps you might ask your doc for some anti-nausea medication while you wait this out. 

I wish you all the best!  Don't give up!

Sincerely,

J-

• Posted

Tab3,

I'm glad you brought this up.  I just went to my ENT last week and asked him to give me a prescription for Betahistine.  It isn't approved by the FDA here in the states and he didn't want to give me it because he said what he could find out is that it causes more fluid in the ear and afraid it would make my MD worse.  I even asked him to let me try it but he wouldn't give me a prescription.  He did talk about steroid injections, which I told him I'm not to the point I think I need them.   Maybe down the road but was curious how others did that had them.  Seems like most said it helped but some had a few side affects.  I guess the numb the area they are giving the shot but just the thought of a needle in my ear seems like it would be painful.  So thankful for this site that we can share procedures, ideas and have someone to talk to that understands MD.

Thanks Tab3 for starting the discussion and hope you improve.

• Posted

Get a new ent.  I've seen nothing about betahistine as you described. My ent was happy to give it to

Me and it's helped. There are pharmacys in the states that compound it.  It is a compounded medicine if not you can get it in Canada. Injections are much more risky than betahistine 

• Posted

Thanks Bluesmann.  I've heard good things about betahistine and only a couple of people on the chat line it didn't help.   I'll have to try and find another ENT.   I appreciate the advice!

• Posted

one thing I've read is it has to be the right dose...many have been on too low a dose then when increased it makes a world of difference good luck!!!

• Posted

JMJ...thank you for the link and very informative.  Now, if I can find an ENT that will give me a prescription so I can at least try it.  I understand that it takes about a month before you see any degree of success with the drug.
    • Posted

maybe print out some of the success stores form on here with betahistine and show the ent....if he is any kind of ent he has heard of it....at least in the use and Europe....good luck!!
    • Posted

You're very welcome!  Wishing you the best of luck!  

• Posted

Hello Tab3, This is a good subject to discuss, I had a series of Gentamicin injections in the left ear back when my vertigo symptoms had just started shutting me down. The ENT suggested trying the injections, so anyway I needed to get this under control, still working at the time, I said lets give it a try. The Doctor warned of possible hearing loss due to the injections, Well hearing loss is what I ended with, the left ear is useless now. I'm sure the outcome can be very different for each individual. One-shot low-dosage gentamicin is completely effective on controlling vertigo attacks in Ménière's disease and has useful effects on the aural fullness and tinnitus of patients as well. However, even doses as low as 20 mg gentamicin can cause hearing loss.

Best Wishes, Bertman 

• Posted

Gentamicin will damage your hearing but an alternative is steroid injection  similar results without hearing damage.  Ent in the states would typically only use gentamicin if the hearing was already gone.  Non destructive treatment should be done first   Good luck one treatment in Asia is 64 oz of water a day make sure your hydrated 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.