Dizziness and breathlessness: Symptoms of Fibroid?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello forum friends,

I'm here to discuss my fibroid symptoms and to get some suggestions from you guys. Please my fibroid story might be funny but I have to say it.

My symptoms are dizziness, heavy legs, frequent urination, lower back pain, painful menstruation, heavy bleeding during menstruation, feeling something is inside my stomach, weakness and the funny part is that I sometimes feel like I can't breath well (breathlessness).

I had my first surgery ever in 2015 November because of fibroid. Thirty six (36) fibroids were removed from my body. Then I didn't experience breathlessness or dizziness but only other symptoms as stated above. In June 2017 when I traveled to Australia for holiday and visited a gynecologist in Melbourne and did ultrasound as well, it was observed that I have 6 fibroids. Now I just visited my gynecologist here in Sweden and she told me that dizziness and breathlessness are not symptoms of fibroid.

QUESTIONS:

1. Why do I have dizziness and breathlessness now with the presence of this fibroid?

2. I want to remove my womb so that the problem of fibroid will end permanently in my life, but I have no child and I am 39 years (not married at the moment). Is there any disadvantage of doing this apart from not being able to have kids?

Thanks as I wait for your answers, suggestions and supports.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

The dizziness and breathlessness you describe sound like the symptoms of severe iron-deficiency anaemia. It's likely that this is due to chronic heavy bleeding. So while your gynaecologist is correct - strictly speaking, they are not direct symptoms of fibroid - they could be an effect of it. We need red blood cells to carry oxygen around our bodies - when we lose too much through heavy bleeding, we become deficient in oxygen, which is why we experience dizziness and breathlessness. A simple blood test can confirm whether or not you are deficient in iron, and if so, you can be treated with iron pills, or liquid iron infusion (which is quicker and more effective). If you begin to feel very unwell, my advice would be to call for an ambulance - this happened to me a few years ago, and I had to be admitted for an emergency blood transfusion. I know many of the ladies on here have also experienced similar. Don't suffer in silence - keep on telling the medical profession what you are experiencing, and request a blood test for anaemia.

As for your second question - after over 10 years of this, including two surgeries (resection of fibroid) I too am on the waiting list for laparascopic hysterectomy. I feel very ambivalent about this. On the one hand, it is a major surgery, and regardless of whether or not we want children in the future (I don't), the uterus is a major organ that has many more functions than simply housing a foetus, so of course removal will have implications beyond loss of fertility. On the other hand, my quality of life is now so compromised that, like you, I am desperate for a permanent end to this and hysterectomy is the only real guarantee of prevention against fibroids in the future. I am some years away from menopause, and I want to be able to embrace my third stage of life with grace and humour and abundant energy and I can't see that happening with the threat of fibroids looming over me. And I have read testimonials from the women on here who opted for hysterectomy who say it was the best decision for them and it gave them their life back, which gives me hope.

At the end of the day, we have to listen to ourselves and our own bodies, and make the decision that is right for us, and us alone, as we are all unique, with different life circumstances, challenges and desires. But we can really only do that if we have all the facts at our disposal. So keep talking, keep asking questions, and eventually the right decision for you will emerge. And we can't make cool, clear-headed decisions when our bodies are in crisis mode, and if the dizziness and breathlessness you are experiencing now are indeed symptoms of anaemia, your body will be under stress, which will put you in crisis mode. Address the anaemia first, and get your body in an optimum state, eat well, and get lots of rest - that way, if you do eventually opt for surgery, you will be ready, physically and emotionally.

I hope this helps and I wish you well - whatever you decide.

Lots of love x  

• Posted

Hello diana80586,

I must say that I'm very happy for your response because you have given me some hopes. Luckily for me, I have an appointment on 19th February so I will discuss it with my doctor to do some iron test for me. I can't wait to begin to feel normal. The sign of dizziness and breathlessness is what I really hate so much. Thank you so much for your contribution. You gave me positive hopes smile

• Posted

Sweetheart, the dizziness and breathlessness are classic signs of anaemia caused by those heavy periods. I totally understand, I cant now walk five minutes to my nearest underground station without feeling like I'm going to faint. You need iron, urgently. I recently had an iron infusion to try and get my levels up quickly and it has worked a little although I'm still nowhere near right. Please see your doctor before your health really suffers - anaemia can be really frightening. As far as hysterectomy goes, just remember its very final, no going back and no changing your mind. Its an entirely personal choice but if its what you really want then of course you're entitled to have the surgery done when you want it. Good luck with it all xx

• Posted

Hello sooty64,

Your contribution has educated me enough that I now have a clue of what my problem is all about. You made me to remember when I went to hospital for some blood test. And when the nurse took my blood for the test, I felt seriously dizzy that I was asked to continue to lie-down and rest first in the clinic. That helped for that moment. Thank you very much smile

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I have a large fibroid, 15cm, and I get breathless a lot. I queried this at my consultation and was advised that this may be because of where all my organs had moved to (upwards) this was the reason why I was feeling this way. I do not have asthma, but have had a few cases where I haven't been able to catch my breath, and have therefore needed to use an asthma pump that I was given previously. She also told me that because of the heavy bleeding that is sometimes a standard symptom with a fibroid, your oxygen levels are low. As for the dizziness, I only ever get dizzy during my period, which I am assuming is because of how heavy I am due to my normal period..

I am awaiting my eviction date so there is light at the end of this horrid tunnel that we have to go through!

Wish you all the best smile

• Posted

Jazmin,

I also have a 15cm fibroid! What are the chances... I am very curious to know if you’ve had elevated ca-125 levels as well. I am scheduled for surgery but they won’t biopsy it so I’m on pins and needles right now until after the surgery to remove it. 

Thanks for any details you are willing to share,

Julieanna

• Posted

Hello, 

I’m not too sure what you were asking about the levels? But I am now 11 days post op and I have never felt better!! It was tough the first 2-3 days I won’t lie. I have never felt pain like it and I was an emotional wreck but after the first few days, it’s amazing from there and onwards 

Although they told me my fibroid was 15cms, it turned out to be 20cms and attached to my womb that much, my womb had to be reconstructed however i didn’t need a hysterectomy and I can still have children. 

It’s the best thing I ever did and I’m so glad that I’m now on the other side of this horrible journey!  Any questions, ask away x 

• Posted

Jazmin,

Thank you so much! I find that so encouraging. If you don’t mind my asking, how big was your scar?  The ca 125 is a blood lab level that can indicate ovarian cancer or it can just be inflammation. Mine is a little elevated so they’re scaring me a little with “the maybe it’s the c word but maybe not”... I’m so happy for you, that you got to keep your womb btw. That’s amazing! 

• Posted

Hi Julie, 

My scar is about 15cms long but is very thin and very neat. I didn’t get checked for any cancer before my surgery as they seemed to know that it was definitely a fibroid which are non-cancerous so thars maybe why I didn’t get those tests. 

• Posted

Jazmin, 

I’m three weeks out from my fibroid removal and feeling great too! Thanks for sharing details with me. It really helped calm my nerves. Best to you! -J

• Posted

My OB dr told me my fibroid is abt 4-5months pregnant.  He will cut open my bikini line where I had my c-sec for labor to remove my uterus.  I believe my fibroid is from the side effects of taking tamoxifen for Breast cancer prevention. Anyhow, my surgery day is in two days.  I have been feeling sick and have been staying home from work for 2months.  I don’t have any vaginal bleeding but I just have hemorroid bleeding for the past 2day from the diarrhea/loose stool for few months.  I don’t know if the digestive problem is from tamoxifen side effect or from the fibroid.  The oncologist said the diarrhea is not from the tamoxifen since I stopped the pill for 5days. If there is SE, it should subside .  If the the bloating and diarrhea is from the fibroid, what size and position the fibroid sits could be in order to cause this symptom?  I was anemic and low on potassium so I experienced breathless, shaky arms and legs(1month ago), back pain, stomach fullness from a small meal, pain in lower and upper abdominal.   Went to ER 3times due to dizziness 2months ago.  The hospital gave me a bag of IV and 3 tblt of potassium and I felt good right away so they discharged me.  

Your feedback is greatly appreciate. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.