Dizziness and nausea

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with Bppv and a balance disorder.  I had several Epley manoeuvres which did no good at all.  I have been given the Cawthorne Cooksey exercises to do and have been told to get a Nintendo wiii fit t o do the balance games but that seems a bit excessive to me. However, since I have been doing the CC exercises I think thins are getting worse - I feel nauseated and off balance the whole time. I was told these exercises would take several months to be of any use but I feel reluctant to do them.  I have also one visit to an acupuncturist who has started treatment with a neck massage before he gets going with the needles ! I did feel better for a couple of days but the symptoms returned with a vengeance.  To be honest I feel there is no point in trying anything and I feel that there is. O point in life anymore.  Friends are falling away and if it wasn't for my dog I would kill myself - I have no family so who would worry.  Help!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have found that doing the half somersault maneuver myself at home helped more than the Epley.  You can find a video  online for this.  I do sometimes have to do ti 3 or 4 times a/2 our apart before it works.  Make sure you hold each position in the maneuver at least 60 seconds. The next day is a bit dizzy, but it starts getting better after that.
  • Posted

With the exercises things always feel worse before they get better but stick at it! They will improve. It will help your brain to compensate :-) hang in there, life is worth it and u wil get through this
  • Posted

As the Epley exercises did not work at all, I would like to confirm the diagnosis.  What were your symptoms, the tests you did and the results, and the findings on the clinical examination.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I was told I had Bppv in April following the Halls Pike test. My GP did 7 of these, there was a little improvement.  He then left the surgery and referred me to local ent.  Hearing test showed some minor hearing loss appropriate for my age (66).  He looked in my ears, ensured my eyes were focusing properly and sent me for vestibular rehab exercises I was given a sheet of exercises and told to do as frequently as possible.  I manage twice a day. I also saw a private consultant who did the halls pike and an Epley and elicited a minor response. Again he looked in ears and eyes, made me march on the spot for 50 paces with eyes closed - I turned 180 degrees without realising. He said I had Bppv and a balance disorder and to carry on exercising. No other tests by anyone.  I feel constantly nauseous, lightheaded and suffer from such bad brain fog I find my memory and concentration have gone to pot and I certainly don't drive. I a sometimes dizzy which is different from lightheadedness.  I am constantly fatigued and want to sleep all the time.  Any help gratefully received.

Thank you.

• Posted

You have been told by several physicians that you have BPPV, and yet the maneuvers have not worked.  Turning 180 degress with eyes closed would not be due to BPPV.  I am therefore not sure by what your doctor meant by "a balance disorder".  It is not very specific.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Oh Julia, I am so very sorry that you feel this way.  Aside from this site there are support groups on facebook so you could get support from them. It is quite true that often there is improvement and then a setback. Please be strong and cuddle your dog who lives for you, take things slowly and others with the complaint know how it is and sympathise. All the best.
  • Posted

You need to be patient.. it takes couple of weeks.. then everything gets back to normal.

As my doctor said.. remember that the dizzeness takes few seconds.. and you will not faint.. just be careful not to fall..

• Posted

Hi Julia

Sorry that you are not feeling well.

I know things seems so overwhelmingly right now but they do get better.

Has your ENT referred you to physical therapy. Physical therapy does work because they give you exercises to fit your situation .

I hope you feel better 🌻

• Posted

You are not alone.. we had similar depression feelings... but it will go as you get better..

Just be patient..

• Posted

Julia

we are all going through the same especially when you first get these dreadful symptoms. Anxiety and depression is something that comes with this so is not wanting to go out with friends go shopping etc. We are all here to support each other but you need to speak to your doctor about this. Get some help. My doctor wouldn't give me any antidepressants as I have a pacemaker for my heart. I didn't know what to do cried everyday. Decided to do meditation using videos on line and anxiety ones. Did help loads. Still do them and focus on my body healing itself. The exercises will make you feel worse but don't over do it take plenty of rest and then try again. Get medication to help tone down the vestibular system they do help. Gradually come off them when you think you feel a little better. Try Cinnazine may help you can get it from the chemist but doctors prescribe it too. Beta histamine is another one. Supplements like ginger or ginkgo even vitamin d can help. drink plenty of water. Try and get some fresh air and sunshine. In time you will learn to cope as we all do within our limits. I'm going to send you a big hug and lots of healing...

• Posted

Sorry to hear that everyone with this problem probably feels the same way!!...something crazy weird I went ti a walk in clinic told them about m th problem all he gave me was flownas Nasal spray for my nose, thought he was crazy but he said my tunes in my ears are closed shut so anyways after five days omg my dizziness went away still feel off balance but I got my life back now i can work normally!!also found out my blood pressure was way to low got healthy no more salty fried foods!! Hope this helps
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

That is so weird !!! I started to have really bad spinning and a feeling like I was on a rocky boat it was so horrible . I used the same nasal spray and within an hour the symptoms we're gone.

Thank God For Nasal Spray. ?

• Posted

HI Elaine what was the nasal spray called. Was it a steroid? I have a crackling when I swallow and had this for 5 months the doc gave me this spray its been 4 weeks now and slightly improved.worse in my left ear. How long did you use this for. Thanks liz
    • Posted

Flownas Nasal spray I used it once a day twice in on nostril while looking down when you spray in your nose prescribed by my doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.