Dizziness and nausea after stroke.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Two months ago I had a stroke that affected nothing but balance. The recovery is going slowly. I endlessly experience nausea and dizziness. Does anyone have the same symptoms? It will be very helpful to get any knowledge about the process of recovery. Thank you.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had something similar to this among other issues. It gets worse for me when going outside or wide open spaces for some reason. 

I spoke to neurologists about balance disorders from stroke. They said Physical therapy would consist of slowly conditioning my brain to rewire by exercising my ability to balance without overdoing it. 

You won’t like hearing this but it mostly takes time and patience. 

So sorry to hear you have to go through this. It’s terrible. If it’s any solace, I got better over several months. 

I HATE to mention meds, but CNS depressants can ease the symptoms. If you must try meds keep the dose very low and only use when absolutely necessary. Also only use it temporarily. Some find relief from CBD oil or Valium. But approach that decision with caution. 

Do not take antidepressants, in my opinion. That’s like Russian roulette.

Good luck and hang in there. 

• Posted

Following scientific and medical research I now use Cannabidiol (CBD) oil as a brain repair tool and neuroprotectant.  I was using it before for auto immune and inflammatory conditions and had great faith in it anyway but was unaware then how much of a part it would play with a brain malfunction, my great fortune to have found a natural product that I hope will help to mend me (my opinion and personal experience only, of course). I shy away from pharmaceuticals wherever possible.
    • Posted

I found a physio and we worked on balance, it really had an impact over the 8 - 10 week course. I also have a vibrating platform that helps with balance and muscle tone - though I should use it more often.
    • Posted

Hi Effie, Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess I'm lucky. I don't think I have any long term damage but it will take time. I can manage short walks without a walker but I find the nausea and dizziness still annoying after all this time. It comes and goes without warning but there is a very slow recovery going on. Good luck with your issues. Brian

• Posted

Hi this might be useful for you. Assuming that you've discussed the Epley manoeuvre with your GP and whether that might help you, there's  the option of trying this gentle and non invasive technique.....a YT channel run by Nathalie Kelly, the TBI coach, has some excellent advice and information.  Nathalie Kelly herself had a severe TBI so has been where we are! Her session with the neurophysiologist Dr Carla Hannaford might be helpful, the full video is called How to Reboot Your Injured Brain with These Amazing Brain Gym Exercises. It's worth watching and worth a try, honestly! Very best of luck and health.

• Posted

That maneuver really works well when the issue is vertigo from an inner ear issue. Also there are approximately 5 other maneuvers similar to the Epley maneuver that sometimes work better for me. Google that. 

Unfortunately if the problem is in the brain and not the ear, these maneuvers don’t offer any relief. 

• Posted

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the other manoeuvres. I followed the TBI coach/Dr Carla Hannaford's advice about pressure points and the other brain re-wiring tips and found them quite helpful. It takes a while to get 'balanced'!

• Posted

Hi

I had a subarachnoid hemorrhage in November 16 which they class as a stroke. I suffer from vertigo since so maybe speak to your GP about vertigo as that makes me nauseous and I feel dizzy, tend to fall to one side.

Take care 

• Posted

I was very fortunate not to have any lasting deficits after my two strokes. But I currently have been experiencing extreme nausea and dizziness since I had foot surgery 3 months ago. I am taking two medications that are really helping on my nausea. It won't help your dizziness but you might ask your doctor about them. One is called Zofran they give that to cancer patients going through chemo. The only difference is that they take 8 mg and you would take 4 mg. The other one is Carafate. I take both of those four times a day. I am still hopeful in finding out why I am so nauseous and dizzy. But I cannot get thru a day without these two medications. If you need the generic name for these two let me know.

• Posted

I too have dizziness following a stroke 6 years ago. My Dr wanted me to go  on a tilt and turn table so they may see my responses, I politely declined, not seeing the benefit of putting myself through that torture. I now take  Betahistine and cinnarizine. They help but not a cure. Hope you find a solution (let me know) as it affects most things I try to do.

I get very depressed, had a sensory stroke at Xmas. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.