Dizziness and weakness every day... Mirtazapine?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Ive been taking mirt for about 3 months. I've been experiencing some symptoms and I'm not sure whether they are related to the medication or not. I take 15mg every night to help with sleep/anxiety. Every day, during my waking hours, I develop what I call dizziness (even though it's not really dizziness... more like a brain fog feeling... sort of lightheaded), and weakness in my arms, upper back, neck and occassionally my legs. It seems to happen about 17 hours after my dose. Has anyone else experienced this and found it to be related to the drug? I want to chalk it up to the mirt but I'm just not sure. Thanks to all in advance for your replies. 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's definatly the mirt I'm exactly the same it hits me at work around midday and I feel woozy dizzy and almost drunk almost out of body! I was on 22.5 and went back down to 15mg last night as it was actually making me more anxious!
  • Posted

I went to see my gp today for a follow up on mirt I take 30mg at night for anxiety and depression don't do nothing for sleep anymore yes I also have muscle spasm in my upper arms and thighs doctors said nothing to worry about that mirt isn't the course of it seriously don't know were I stand I didn't have this problem before I also input to him people like yourself are having the same issues and I think he felt insulted glad I'm not alone
  • Posted

I would say yes, jansell84- these are side effects.  I've read many accounts of people having dizziness, weakness and fog from this and other psych meds.  These meds affect our neurons all over our bodies.  If the symptoms are severe enough as to be troubling, then your system may just not agree with mirt.  Here is a partial list of side effects from a drug info website:

More commonConstipation

dizziness

drowsiness

dry mouth

increased appetite

weight gainLess commonAbdominal or stomach pain

abnormal dreams

back pain

dizziness or fainting when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position

increased need to urinate

increased sensitivity to touch

increased thirst

low blood pressure

muscle pain

nausea

sense of constant movement of self or surroundings

trembling or shaking

vomiting

weakness

• Posted

Thank you all for the responses... and thank you kelly8973, drunk is exactly the word I was searching for when writing my original post but I couldn't think of it. It really is a drunk feeling accompanied by weakness. So it seems it is the drug then... I hate to stop it because I've definitely had benefits on it. It helps with the adrenaline rushes I get at night when trying to fall asleep... But I'm having a hard time dealing with these side effects by day. 
  • Posted

Just wasn't sure it was the pill since the symptoms don't occur until 16-17 hours later. 
  • Posted

I am going out of my mind it started on December the 7th 2019

I have been taking mitazapine for 4 years never experianced what I hsve been feeling this last month. Very dizzy almost motion sickness and wherever I go I feel like I'm walking on air slow motion its very strange I hsvd s pain in my left ear which I never had before I thought it must be a virus it went away for a few, days but it's back again. I am a stay at home father with 3 children I literally keep thinking I can't carry on I'm slowly dying inside each day kids keep asking what's wrong with me. I'm currently in bed with hot water bottle humidifier feeling sorry for myself. It only seems to stop when I'm sleeping its a really horrible feeling. Has anyone else ever had this any advice would be much appreciated. Mitazapine saved my life but now I think it's having the reverse effect on me. Thanks for listning

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.