Dizziness for months, doctors have no idea what’s going on

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been experiencing dizziness (disequilibrium) for 5 months now, since I was about 30 weeks pregnant. It is not a feeling of the room spinning, but more just feeling “off”, a feeling of brain fog and confusion and like my vision is distorted with a dizzy feeling in my head.  Seems to be worse when I stand from sitting or bend over to pick something up. I also have headaches and feel pressure in my head and eyes. At the time it was attributed to my pregnancy and my severe varicose veins causing me to feel dizzy and occasionally lightheaded to the point of almost passing out. Now I’m 8 weeks postpartum and still having the same symptoms. I’m being treated for postpartum depression with 100mg Zoloft a day, been on for about a month. My doctor thinks the dizziness may be anxiety related because it gives me lots of anxiety when I feel the dizziness.  The Zoloft is maybe helping my mood a tiny bit but I feel overall it isn’t working. My anxiety is still super high, worse actually since starting the Zoloft. I was told this anxiety would pass with the dizziness when the medication side effects went away. Still there a month later.  The only thing that makes me feel better is having a few glasses of wine at night. My questions are: what condition could be causing me to feel this way? What Can I do to treat it and feel better?  Could the wine be counteracting the Zoloft somehow making it less effective? Or is this just not the right medication for me?? I’m starting to feel like something is horribly wrong with me and I’m starting to panic that no one can figure out what’s wrong!!Thank you in advance!!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

?I would see a neuro-otologist, they specialize in inner ear and balance/dizziness.  They can do some testing and check your inner ear to make sure it's not that.  They might even have you go for an MRI to make sure that is clear.  

?I have problems from a sinus infection that ended up affecting my inner ear balance nerve.  The virus actually damaged the nerve,  There are some medicine like Dramamine that can help with the dizziness.  That is over the counter, but if you see the neuro-otologist, they might be able to prescribe a better medicine for help you.

Hope you feel better.

• Posted

I was prescribed Scopolamine which are patches that need to be changed every three days.  I just put one on last night and haven't noticed a difference.  I did have a brain MRI and it was normal thankfully.  This is almost 6 weeks and I still have it.  Called my neurologist and he said to do these exercises three times a day and use the patches he does not want to do anymore testing at this time.  It's all very frustrating.  I feel your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.