Dizziness, heart pounding & shortness of breath

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone! First time posting on here.  I wanted to bring to your attention the strange symptoms I’m having and see if other people have experienced them as well. 

I will do my best to summarize what’s going on in my life because I know I can talk on and on about what’s going on, so here we go...

Major life changing events such as giving up on a lifelong dream, totally picking up and moving to a different part of the country, the feeling of worthlessness because of having to give up that dream, not sure what to do with my life now, and potential marriage issues.  Because of these I have tried to be proactive and start a very regimented workout schedule plus cutting out alcohol and caffeine so anything that would cause anxiety. What I have noticed in the midst of all of this is that during workouts my heart rate obviously increases but it increases to a point where I get extremely dizzy and feel like I’m about to pass out. I know I have a bit of anxiety and stress because of everything that’s changing, but I am a little bit more settled now and just moving things into a new house  i’ve had to sit down again because of the exertion for moving stuff. I’m in much better shape and I’ve been in over the last 10 years of my life. 

I am on a blood pressure medication, but I’ve never had a blood pressure reading that would get me to the point of feeling dizzy. I’m just curious to know if anyone has experienced this because the thing I’m trying to do to combat my stress and anxiety is making me feel worse. 

Back in May of this past year I did go to the emergency room because of chest pain‘s and I did not have a heart attack  and also did stress test to make sure. My blood pressure was off the charts for someone being 40 years old  that’s what I need me up on the blood pressure medication. 

Sorry for the long read, but I’m just concerned about the feeling of dizziness and overall malaise after exerting myself. I don’t have chest pain‘s after working out or do anything physical. Actually do feel better, but if I go a little bit too hard then I start to feel the symptoms described my title. 

I’ve noticed that I’ve gotten somewhat of a bad case of GERD as well.  Like I said I’ve cut out foods that have made me feel that way and that seems to be subsiding a little bit. After researching stress and Gerd what I have found is that there is no tie between the two but it doesn’t make sense since my diet has become so much cleaner of the last couple of months so I can only associate it with all the stress.

Maybe I just need to let everything calm down a little bit before I start over exerting myself again.  Ok I’ll shut up now.  Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dizziness is a classic sign of anxiety, even if your not having panic attacks the stress in your body and mind is still running, anxiety can also cause the symptoms of vertigo.. I have had dizziness for the past 3 months it's not a nice feeling.. the more I thought about it the more it was there so maybe this could be the reason for you to.. I no you have probably had enough of the doctors saying it's all in your head (if they do) because that's all I used to get from them, but it is true sometimes the more we think about it the more it's there, so the more your thinking if you push yourself to hard it's going to make you go dizzy you will most likely feel dizzy because your thinking it will make you.. sorry if not much help just speaking from my experience with this 

• Posted

Hannah! Thank you so much for the response. No this is this quite a bit of help. I know that recognizing the cause and why things are happening is the first step to combating this issue. I really do appreciate your insight!
  • Posted

Hi Doug04

Just a few thoughts to consider, you say you started on BP medication in the last year, generally these drugs can slowly bring on other changes in your body, some people develop side effects years after starting. One of their effects is that they slow down the bodies natural reactions when we need our BP to go up, one of the very common effects is dizziness when standing up quickly and your dizziness after bursts of activity fits into this. It may be you actions to improve your health are working and one of the effects might be in lowering your high BP, this would make these effects more obvious to you. Some can also cause stomach irritation, really GERD only becomes a problem for people with long term stomach problems, but remember that increasing the amount of veg, particularly raw increases the stomachs workload.

I envy your motivation to make all these changes and as you say you feel better for it, I would get your Dr to check your BP and talk to him about these effects, it may just be a simple matter of adjusting the dose of your BP meds. Generally increasing your physical health increases your resilience and lowers anxiety so I'd go with the simpler explanations, raising the head of your bed on wooden blocks 4-6inches usually isn't noticeable  when you go to sleep but can improve the symptoms of GER. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Doug

sounds like you have been through a lot with the  life changing events . That's enough to create anxiety.

anxiety and stress is very hard on our mind and body.  It's draining.  

when I am very stressed out, I also become extremely tired after doing physical activity. My heart rate also increases and I need to sit down. It's all  related to the anxiety.  I do get dizzy at times also.

So when I'm feeling this way, I cut back on  my physical activity until I feel stronger again. There's no point in putting our bodies through a heavy work out when it's being  already challenged by anxiety. 

I have been so exhausted from this in the past that I could hardly get off the couch. I went and got blood work done and it was all normal. The doctor told me I looked very exhausted.  It's amazing what anxiety and stress can do. 

so yes, weakness and dizziness are very common with anxiety. I have even had the vertigo where the room feels like it's spinning. 

I would say to just take care of yourself and don't overdo anything when you're feeling this way. Your body is telling you that it's overstressed. Do things that relax your mind. 

hope you feel better soon ??

• Posted

Also remember that when you have anxiety your brain sends out adrenaline which can cause rapid heartbeat and lightheadedness.  Any symptoms caused by anxiety cannot hurt you even though they feel weird and scary. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.