Dizziness/imbalance/head pressure and ear issues for over a year

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

In September of 2019, I began experiencing an unusual dizziness/imbalance/head pressure only when standing up and walking. It has never been a "room spinning" sense of dizziness, but more of like I feel the ground under me is unsteady. To go along with this, I have experienced pressure/fullness in my left ear, accompanied by tinnitus and ear popping.

I tried treating this with Flonase and Zyrtec, but this did nothing. The only thing that seemed to help with the dizziness was 1mg of lorazepam, but this is a drug that has addictive side effects, so I can't (and haven't) been taking it every day. I went to a "dizzy-doc", or an otoneurologist, which combines ear issues and dizziness. I took about 5 tests, including a cVEMP, CDP, VHIT, but everything came back normal. I do not have BPPV as we have tried the Epley maneuver which did nothing and I do not even respond to the Dix Hallpike test.

I was diagnosed with vestibular neuritis, so the treatment for that was physical therapy. I did the physical therapy for a month which helped a little, and then just continued the therapy on my own at home and continued to do vestibular challenging things in order to regain my balance. Over a year later, I am not 100% healed. The strange thing is that I only feel this sense of imbalance when I am walking or when I stand and march/walk in place. It is almost like my brain cannot comprehend knee movement and causes my body to feel like I am in disequilibrium

Recently I went back to the dizzy-doc who said I may have PPPD. But I am unsure of that diagnosis as I have never had a room spinning dizziness. It is more like someone has a lasso tied around my brain and while I am walking, someone is pulling on that lasso. He also thinks that my ear issues (the tinnitus, ear pressure, popping, etc.) is unrelated and may just be eustachian tube dysfunction. I do not have any hearing loss and my dizziness does not come as an "attack" so it is not Meniere's. My dizzy doc prescribed me an antidepressant which apparently helps with PPPD, but I am worried to take it due to side effects. I must say that by far the strangest part of this condition is that I really only feel it when my legs are in motion, hence the walking or marching in place. If anyone has an help regarding the dizziness or ear issues I am experiencing, I would greatly appreciate it. I would love any tips for eustachian tube dysfunction or PPPD. Thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

This kind of sounds like what I'm going through right now. Do you feel kind of lethargic during the day and when you're walking do you feel like you're leaning to your left/and/or right? I have an ENT and Audiologist appointment on 2/3/2021 to try and get some answers but I don't think it's going to be that easy unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi.

I wouldn't say I feel lethargic. I might feel a little depressed having had to deal with this issue for so many months, but I am definitely able to get through the day. I also would not say I feel like I am leaning to one side. I will be seeing my third ENT on 2/15/2021. Please let me know if your ENT appointment helps at all. Thanks!

• Posted

I can really relate to so much of this. I was diagnosed with Bppv after a head injury 10 years ago and have been prone to attacks since then. Recently however I have had more of an unsteady, detached and almost like a dizziness in my legs and body when standing or walking. it is so hard to describe but feels horrible, like I am not really there or the ground is moving. I am sensitive to loud noises also.

• Posted

how are you feeling now?

i have been feeling unsteady motion feeling for 6 weeks, it began a few days after my ankle surgery. doctors are guessing it was caused by how my head was positioned during the 3 hour ankle surgery. i feel unsteady sitting or standing... lying down staying still i feel fine but if i turn my head to the side while lying, the unsteady feeling comes back. its a wobbly feeling, wooziness, like a ball rolling around in my head. its not a spinning feeling. and cognitively I am still very alert & fine all the time. i assume this is a type of vertigo..

thanks for any advice!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.