Dizziness laying on my back while trying to sleep

Posted , 2 users are following.

I sleep with 3 or 4 pillows and lay on my back. Some nights I get a dizzy feeling, not spinning Vertigo, just my head is tingly and feels off balance.... I don't sleep on my sides just on my back. Last night I woke up twice feeling off and with a little ringing in my ears (tinnitus). That has happened on and off for a few weeks. Any ideas as to why?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why do you sleep the way you do, without sleep on your side?

What do you mean by "feeling off"?

Do you wake up gasping for breath?

Do you feel that you are not refreshed after sleeping, as if you have not slept at all?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I have BVVP on the right side.... and vestibular neuroitis the ent says. I've had two epley's done and the Vestibular therapist said to lay on my back with pillows for 48 hours. One night I did move to my left side and I still woke up off...

No I'm not gasping for air. Sometimes I do feel a little whirl or like I'm jerked away.. but last night it was just like my head felt tingly and a bit dizzy even before I opened my eyes. I had an mri 2 weeks ago and.the neuro said it looks fine.

My balance during the day has been better after the epley but I just don't understand whats happening to me during my sleep pattern.

• Posted

I do feel like I slept... I get about 7 hours of sleep... but later in the day I am fatigued.
    • Posted

You may still be feeling the aftereffects of the BPPV.  Sometimes it takes a while for the symptoms to go away after the Canalith Repositioning Maneuver.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Thank u so much. I continue my vestibular therapy tomorrow since I feel off balance during the day still. .. much better then where I was a month ago from being diagnosed with vestivular neuroitis and BVVP
    • Posted

Again last night it's like my brain is working harder to concentrate when I wake up in the middle of the night... I feel like it's never calm and I still feel off the moments that I wake up during sleep. I actually would rather be up during the day then go through my sleep pattern at night sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.