dizziness on Mertazapine 15mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm on my 4th day of 15mg of Mertazapine for anxiety and depression, after switching from sertraline due to some of the side effects. 

Since yesterday I've had pretty bad dizziness, whenever i move suddenly. This can be walking and turning a direction, or getting up off the sofa, or even just turning my head sometimes. It leaves me losing my concentration sometimes.

When I'm not moving I feel a kind of pressure in my head, almost like an ongoing headache but without the pain as such. My head just feels full. 

Can anyone give me any indication as to whether or not this will subside? Or any advice?

Many thanks in advance! smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie.

It does subside chick. Most side effects from Mirtazapine where gone in about 2 weeks but to be honest I'm not sure if it was side effects from the mirt or withdrawal from Citalopram as I was taken off them without tapering.

On 15mg you may feel a little drowsy for a few hours after waking but this wears off aswell in time. 

I found the lower doses of 15mg and 30mf more sedating and helped with sleep and anxiety but when I increased to 45mg it tackled the underlying depression that I didn't even realise I had. 

All doses help me sleep and I think I'm the only person who has not had the munchies which this drug is well known for. I so want the munchies smile xxx

• Posted

Hi Gillian, thanks for your speedy response smile

And thanks for the info, it's put my mind at ease a bit knowing that. 

The first two days I was really tired, it's more so this annoying dizziness now. Well, I will ride it out. 

And oh I hope I don't put a ton of weight on! I've read loads about that. rolleyes

Thanks again for your reply.

Stephanie

Xxx

• Posted

I don't mean to contradict Gillian but the side effects are an individual thing and they might subside. For me they sides on Mirt did not go away and I had to come off. Its really a case of see how it works for you. As gilian said the sides are dose dependant and a lot of users find it better on a higher dose. Just keep an eye on what you eat as this drug can make you really hungry, I'm a natural 'skinny' but even I put on weight smile 
  • Posted

Hi

i'm on 45 mg and have put n 2 stones in weight in 4 months.   The main advantage I find is that I do sleep at nights but it isn't lifting the depression and I still get constant panc attacks and palpitations during the day and so,have to take 40 mg of propanol (beta blocker).  Most antidepressants are in the seraton family, like fluoxetine and cipralapam and they stimulate you, not sedate you, which Mirtazapine does.  I found I couldn't take a higher dose f fluoxetine, but I do have very mixed feelings about Mirtazapine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.