Dizziness, smoking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys.

I've been experiencing general dizziness, nausea light headedness, loss of co-ordination for about two years. Some days worse than others.

I've been a smoker for 20 years. I've found that in the last two years, a cigarette can exacerbate these problems to the point that sometimes my co-ordination becomes so bad that I fall over and I have to sit or lie down.

What has caused this change?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have a diagnosis with regards to your current history of dizziness (cause?)?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your response.

Briefly, I have a history of heavy drinking, but for two years have been mostly abstinent. When I stopped I noticed that the nausea and stumbling wasn't just being drunk or hungover, it was always there, but for a long time GPS have brushed it off as anxiety.

Three months ago (after a calcaneus fracture) I was found to be vitamin D deficient (<20 nmol/l). I have taken loading dose and maintenance as instructed so this should be resolved.

Also three months ago I began Mirtazapine and Propranolol treatment for anxiety and depression. I feel this has been successful with no side effects.

In the absence of anxiety, my GP has been forced to concede that the nausea and dizziness is not imagined and I have an appointment on Thursday to screen for neurological causes.

Presently I feel unsafe driving so have stopped for the last year. One week ago I stumbled and fell into the road (I had not had a cigarette) which is what prompted me to insist on further investigation.

Nausea is worse in the morning. Some days are worse than others. On days when my gait is most unsteady I take short, stumbling steps and I worry people assume I'm drunk. On bad days loss of co-ordination also affects my hands.

I have no cognitive problems, no trouble with speech, no memory issues. I do have brain fog, difficulty concentrating, irritability. It gets much worse with a cigarette, all round loss of balance and co-ordination in my feet and hands.

If you read all that, thanks for your patience!

• Posted

You clearly need to be examined in detail.  Let me know what the conclusion will be on Thursday.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.