Dizziness, Vertigo, Headaches???

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last three months, I have been on a slew of medications for HBP from Losartan to Lisinopril. When I started Lisinopril, everything started to go wrong, I started getting ringing in the ears, massive headaches, and dizziness from it. 

For the last few weeks, I am no longer on Lisinopril and my doctor put me back on Losartan which I am glad is lowering my blood pressure. 

Though I am still getting the dizziness and the ringing in the ears. My doctors all think its because of WPW (Wolff-Parkinson's White Syndrome) that is causing the issues. I have spoken to my cardiologist, and the only time dizziness is a factor with WPW is during an episode where the heart rate goes past 180. If the heart rate is at normal range dizziness is caused by something else. 

My doctors are not taking me serious about the dizziness or the ringing in the ears and I don't know what to do anymore. I went to Urgent Care this evening and the PA agrees I might have BPPV and I should see a better ENT about it. I did see my ENT last month and he refused to treat it. 

As mentioned this all started with Lisinopril. I don't know what to do, I've been to the ER 11 times, and they refuse to treat me. All they do is blood tests and then send me home. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, if it's bppv, it's usually pretty easy for any doc to determine by doing the dix-halpike test. They basically have you sit amd than lay to tour side quickly amd stay there while they watch your eyes to check for movement. Or even when you move tou head quickly, you would be dizzy. They did those tests for me and determined it's not bppv. I had a crappy ent also, amd went to a new one last week, and he was super good. Its actually a balance/hearing clinic that does all these tests that no hospital ot doc does...I go next week for 80 min of testing, and Joe had this since march...I hope you can get a new ent.

• Posted

Hello Smitty89

I tend to agree with you. Out where I live there are only about 6 ENTs near me, and if I want a good one I have to travel a long way. With the dizziness that I have, it's not something feasible I can do. 

I do think its Vertigo, even though the doctors won't diagnose me with it. I already called another ENT and will be having an appointment this week hopefully. 

• Posted

Same issues for me started when I was on Losartan.  Look up "drug ototoxicity".  Bllod pressure medication and antibiotics are some of the worst.  4 years later I still have issues.

• Posted

The only reason why I think it's not Losartan is I've been on it before. I started with Losartan this year, but my old doctor out of the blue decided to take me off of it and put me on Valsartan (Which is recalled too none the less). That's when I switched doctors and my doctor put me on Lisinopril and finally Losartan again. 

When I was on Losartan the first time, I never had any side effects. I might be just getting used to it again. 

I did go to Urgent Care last night, they feel that Lisinopril should be out of my system already. I don't believe that because I used to be on Metformin and that took 2 months to get out of my system. 

• Posted

I wasn't necessarily indicating that it was the Losartan for you but, possibly the Lisinopril.  Drugs affect each of us differently.  For me it was Losartan and most blood pressure medications are ototoxic.  The Losartan took a little over a year to reach its full negative impact for me.  When I first began taking Losartan, I was extremely tired and after being on it for a year I began to have momentary feelings like I was going to be dizzy and then it would pass.  Lasted just a couple of seconds.  Then I had a day where it was happening every few minutes and lasting a couple of seconds then pass.  I wish that I had associated the Losartan to the issue at that time.  After a year on the Losartan it hit me full force and I have never been the same again.  When I went to the doctor that prescribed the Losartan and told him the issues that I was having he immediately took me off of it.  I never mentioned to him that I thought that the Losartan had caused the issue because at that time I still never associated the two.

Just a thought.  You may have something totally different affecting you.  As you have seen with your doctors, it's all a guess as to what the issue really is.  Theirs is just an "educated" guess.

• Posted

I believe losartan is in a similar class of BP meds as lisinopril. And they can both cause those side effects. I couldn't take either one- both worsened my dizziness. So it could be a drug side effect. Maybe see if your Dr can try a different med. I seem to have side effects with most drugs.. It's how I am unfortunately. The only one so far that I eventually tolerated after a few weeks was Propranolol, a beta blocker. It can work to lower blood pressure, but is not usually a med they choose for that. I take it for migraine prevention.

• Posted

Because of WPW, my doctor nor cardiologist will put me on anything else. WPW is something like a variable heart rate, it can be 70-75 or 150 randomly out of the blue. This is why doctors won't put me on Beta Blockers or Calcium Channel Blockers. WPW doesn't allow me to have a lot of BP meds, only ones that I can take are ACEs, ARBs, and Diuretics. I prefer Diuretics but I had a version of a heart attack last year because my potassium levels were too low. 

• Posted

So I went to Urgent Care today, and maybe this is what is causing it too. First, the doctor at Urgent Care thinks it's Vertigo and Meniere's Disease might be the issue for dizziness and the ringing in the ears. 

He also found out that I *might* have an enlarged heart that could also be causing the issues with dizziness. I doubt it because I've had tons of chest X-Rays done in the last few weeks, and even had a CT Scan on my chest and it found nothing. So its something I need to talk to the cardiologist about the most. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.