Dizziness when it's cold outside

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello to all the dizzy people! New to the club, i'm going to tell you my story.

I noticed i had a dizzy feeling when the cold season arrives. At first it was discrete till last year, when i got really dizzy when i came home from shopping. I feel good for a few minutes when i go out into the cold, but when i go into a shop that has heating, i get dizzy after a while. Also, when it gets cold i have a sore neck, i wake up with a stiff neck and have to do some exercises to make the pain go away. The neck cracks with every move and i have a grinding sensation when i turn my head left/right.

This year, in late autumn, i had a real vertigo attack, i woke up in the night and had a dizzinness when i turned in bed or sitting. The room was spinning when i moved my head quick, i had to move really slow. After a few days the dizzinness slowly went away. I,ve learned about the dix-hallpike maneouvre and when i moved the head in a position, after a few secs, this feeling of dizzinees came and went away. With each manouvre, the feeling of vertigo diminished.

I saw many ent's, at first went to the cardio because i had also episodes of pain in the heart zone, went to oftalmo because i noticed my vision was a bit blurry. Everything was fine. Someone sent me to the neurologist and that's where i was diagnosed with vertigo due to cervical spondylosis. Did a mri of the neck wich confirmed that. I was given arlevert 2 a day and ains 7 days per month.

I noticed i got a feeling of pressure on my ears and sometimes noises in one year. Besides this i noticed i get dizzy after a high carb meal or if i make a effort with my feet like when i stop running/climbing. This is why i'm not sure wich is the right diagnostic for me. I had another episode of vertigo altough it was week 3 of taking meds.

I left out other facts, to keep the story short. Hope this helps somebody. Please excuse my grammar!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go on Youtube an watch the video to do the half-somersault manuever. See if this hekps you.
    • Posted

Thank you Jackie, i didn't know about this maneuver. If a new epside hits me i'll give it a try!

• Posted

It is important to note that with the repositioning maneuvers you felt better with regards to the vertigo, suggestive of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.  However, there is more than one type, and one reason for not feeling completely free of symptoms is that you may have more than one type.  You should do the repositioning under supervision of an ENT doctor, preferably one with a special interest in neurotology.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I thought that also, i was on a new lead, bpv sounded reasonable especially because i had recurent middle ear infections. But bpv doesn't explain the dizzy feeling when i'm climbing stairs and my feet turn into lead. Sometimes i get dizzy if i keep my head turned to the left or right. Somebody from er told me that spondylosis can cause a reduced blood flow to the brain, aka vertebro-basilar insufficiency. Maybe vbi is the cause for bpv in my case?

Thank you for your support. I can't find any neurotogist in my region but i'll keep looking for one.

• Posted

I also have Spondylosis  and the manuvers helped me there again...
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you also have spondylosis. Does your neck hurts? Did anyone tell you vertigo could be related to spondylosis? I see lots of eldery people with vertigo related problems.
    • Posted

Yes my neck hurts every day, but not sure it's related to the vertigo. I;m sure it doens't help it though/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.