Dizziness with Flomax and eating grapefruit Anybody else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been taking two 0.4mg of flomax for at least 10 years. My incidence of vertigo has definitely increased in frequency and intensity over the years. But over the past week it has been more of being extreme dizziness, very similar to my "youth years" of intoxication and stumbling while walking, room spinning. Two days last week in lasted entire day. I have also began eating canned grapefruit in its juice every day.

I read today that grapefruit can cause the flomaz to hand around much longer thus intensifying its side effects.

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced same. I have been on it so long, and appetite for grapefruit is recent.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I thought I had the same problem and then I had my ears cleaned and it cleared up about 90%.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hoofer

are you taking a statin? They don't mix with grapefruit well

• Posted

The first thing you need to do is check your blood pressure. You should have a blood pressure kit at home - inexpensive and available at all drug stores and from Amazon. If your blood pressure is normal then the vertigo is from something else. If it is low, then this might be the reason for the dizziness. Flomax lowers blood pressure slightly.

It's also possible that you have an inner ear infection, or an allergic reaction to something you are eating. I ate some fish once in Hawaii and woke up in the middle of the night with the room spinning. Had to go to the ER and they gave me some medication that helped. Doctor said I had swelling in my inner ear that effected my sense of balance. Don't know if this is from the grapefruit, but might be from something else. This seems more likely than the Flomax since you have been taking it before with no issues.

• Posted

Hi Hoofer,

Grapefruit juice inhibits a chemical in the intestine needed to break down many drugs in the body. The absence of this chemical can lead to higher blood levels. In effect, the drug becomes more potent. As dizziness is a known side-effect of Flowmax / tamsulosin, grapefruit may make this worse.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.