Dizzy and lighteaded with slight neck and shoulder pain. Can anyone relate?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I was hoping someone may be able to help me figure out if the symptoms I am experiencing may be due to neck/spine issues.

For a few months now I have had a period of around 7-10 days of dizziness and lightheadedness that comes and goes during that time. It usually resolves and goes away for 2-3 weeks and then returns. I am never so dizzy or lightheaded that I can not stand but it is accompanied by a cloudy head feeling. I have noticed this time that my neck and shoulders are very tense and sore. It may be the anxiety causing some tension but i wonder if it could be causing the problem. I have had blood tests done as well as an MRI all of which have come back clear. I also suffer from he occasional migraine aura. My neurologist thinks these episodes may be migraines but I dont think they are. She was not very helpful or informative 😦 I have not yet seen a chiropractor and wonder if it is worth doing so. I am scared of having my spine and neck manipulated but will if this is the problem.

Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? If so did you manage to resolve the problem?

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi lizzie i have exactly like you describe i have had this since going postmenopausal lighthededness neck pain also headaches for days then gone for weeks and then come back dont think docs know what they looking for mine has put it down to hormones hope you get something sorted if you do let me know takeing over my life

• Posted

I'm not a doctor. I don't have a whole lot to say here but be careful about chiros - if you let someone start cracking your neck you might be setting yourself up for something worse. You mentioned anxiety; are you having stress and anxiety otherwise in your life? It could be as simple as that. You might try something very relaxing for your whole body. Swimming might be perfect. Or maybe other relaxation techniques. Best of luck.

• Posted

Is there any possibility you could grind your teeth, clench or swing your jaw? You could do it in your sleep without realising it. It can give you headaches and give you neck and shoulder pain. Certain medications can make you do this like ppi indigestion tablets and anti depressants and anti anxiety medications. Dizziness can also be a side effect of certain meds. Have you had your vitamin levels tested? I was vitamin d and b12 deficient and I was very dizzy until I started taking vitamin sprays.

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I can totally relate and have unfortunately never found an answer. You mention yours are about once a month for the duration of a period so does it happen during your period, perhaps during ovulation. It could potentially be a hormonal cycle influence? Hormones can affect everything including blood pressure or they can trigger migraines, they can also increase your sensitivity to pain and your sensitivity in general. Even if you are on the pill you will still have a natural hormone change throughout the cycle. The other thing to consider is any medication your taking including birth control, sometimes we can be fine with a medication but all of a sudden our body doesnt like it. When something is cyclic it is a fairly good indicator that there is a change in your body/mind or life on a regular basis such as hormones. Do you have a monthly meet up with friends and drink wine/cheese (migraine triggers), do you attend a monthly fitness class, etc etc.

Honestly i have tried everything, ive seen neuros, had scans etc etc. Ive even had facet joint injections in my neck which made no difference, im sure mine isnt related to anxiety or stress as mine comes on whenever, i could be happy and relaxed but will be in pain and feel almost drunk (ive not found a connection to anything specific) but it maybe worth you keeping a diary of food, drinks, activity, stress and hormones for month or 2 as you may be able to pin point a trigger.

Theres an excellent migraine app called N1-headache which is free to use and tracks all of the above and the weather in your area, it looks for links to migraines specific to you.

Moon gives a valid point about clenching or grinding, from what ive read that can cause dizziness along with the neck and shoulder pain/headaches but again i went down this road, tried guards etc and relaxation techniques and it didnt help.

Some things I would suggest would be dont sleep with more than 1 pillow. Try out different sleeping positions.

Do pilates, it stretches you evenly and gently whilst building up some muscle strength but without aggravating neck/joint problems.

Make sure your eating enough and nutrient dense food.

Rest if you need it but not too much, i think inactivity can long term make the situation worse.

Try not to think about it or stress too much, you have had a scan, nothing sinister has been found. Try not to focus on it which is hard when you feel wrong but the more you focus on it the more thats all you are aware of.

Do look up neck and shoulder physio exercises on youtube and do them regularly, i honestly think when the neck gets tight it restricts something hence the dizziness

You can try writing down things that are on your mind before bed as a way to relieve any stress.

I would avoid the chiro, spend your money on a nice massage instead, ive tried osteopaths and it made things worse for me.

There is a migraine supplement protocol which you could look up and try but magnesium is one of them and magnesium makes me feel much worse for some reason.

Good luck and if you do get some answers please do post.

• Posted

thank you so much for your reply. i originally thought it could be hormonal as it occurs at least once a month. i will try that app as well as some exercises for my neck and back maybe. i am currently taking a migraine supplement also, i think it helps with my auras but not so much with the dizziness.

thank you again.

• Posted

hi there

if you had a trapped nerve its probable you would have pins and needles down your arm.

the chiropractor is therefore a no no.

i suggest you try the more gentle exercises courtesy of Robin Mckenzie "TREAT YOUR OWN NECK " and take it easy,relax and stay flexible.

good luck

Mike

• Posted

hello,

i may be late in replying but i have been experiencing the same as you have mentioned.

do you sleep on your stomach/front at all? There's quite alot online claiming that can cause these issues.

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

I have had neck pain for a couple of years and shoulder pain for seven months. I get all the symptoms you describe and recently had a cortisone shot in my shoulder for tendonitis and its made my symptoms worse, although it has taken most of the shoulder pain away. Neck still painful. I get migraines and the symptoms are similar to a migraine aura. Totally fed up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.