Dizzy/Fainting on Sertraline (Zoloft)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 25 year-old female. I've been taking Sertraline 50mg for 15 weeks now. It's definitely working for me. I noticed a big improvement in my mood around 10 weeks. After 10+ years of dealing with depression and anxiety I'm so relieved to feel somewhat normal now. The only thing is since I've started taking it I sometimes get really dizzy when I stand up from sitting or lying down. For a few seconds I lose vision, I'm not able to stand up and I get uncontrollable spasms in my legs and arms. When I first started taking Sertraline I also experienced heart palpitations and was prescribed beta-blockers. I stopped taking the beta-blockers because I felt like they were making me more dizzy due to low blood pressure. I decided to stick with the Sertraline and thought that maybe the dizziness might go away after a while. However, two days ago I had to go to the hospital because I fainted and fell on my face and got a gash between my eyes. They did some blood work which came back normal and told me to discuss alternative medications with my doctor. My doctor has now switched me to Citalopram (Celexa) 10mg. I really hope it works for me. Anyone else have similar experiences? Also how does Citalopram compare to Sertraline? Cheers.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi fluffy cloud I’m so sorry to hear about that. I hope ure feeling better. Can I just ask you a couple of questions if u don’t mind? I’ve been on 100mgs of sertraline now for the past 6wks with little improvement. I still get panick attacks mostly as soon as I wake up, I also still very detached like I don’t know myself anymore. Do u think this will get better in time, or do you think they arnt working for me? As I was on paroxatine for 17yrs and the doctor switched me to sertraline. Any advice and reassurance would be really nice. Thanx Deb 🌹

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Wow 17 years is a long time. May I ask why your doctor switched you to sertraline?

Before I started taking sertraline I went through a period when I was experiencing panic attacks almost every night. I was stuck in this negative cycle. During the first two weeks of taking sertraline I felt numb and detached. Both anxious and happy feelings were subdued which I was okay with at the time so I stuck with it. Then at about 10 weeks was when I really noticed my overall mood was lifted and more stable. Now I can get through most days feeling okay. This is the first time I’ve tried anti-depressants and I’ve only been on sertraline for 15 weeks but so far they’ve worked for me which is why I’m hesitant to switch to citalopram. But I hope they work for you too and if not keep trying until you find one that does <3

• Posted

Thanx for ure reply fluffycloud. Yeh 17yrs is a long time. The reason why the doctor changed me is because he felt like they weren’t working for me anymore. But I wished I had never changed now. I was thinking of going back on them but the doctor as advice me to persevere with the sertraline for a bit longer. I’m going to give them a couple of more weeks and see how I go. I’ve felt really bad tho since I’ve swapped. Panicky, sicky, low moods and o feel like I’ve lost myself also I can’t sleep now without taking sleeping tablets. So I just don’t know what to think? Is it because I’ve changed tablets or what? Any advice or reassurance for me please . As I’m really anxious 🌹

• Posted

I'm sorry that you're feeling that way. Yeah see how you go in the next couple weeks otherwise try something else. Switching meds and finding the right one can be tricky. I'm preparing myself to feel worse before I hopefully feel good again. Hang in there <3

• Posted

Thanks fluffycloud for ure reply. If ure feeling ok on sertraline why r u swapping to citaopram? 🌹

• Posted

I got really dizzy sometimes from sertraline and it was a side effect that didn’t go away. Two days ago I fainted, fell on my face and got a gash between my eyes. If it were up to me I would’ve still stuck with sertraline because it was working for me but my family and doctor advised me to stop taking it which is understandable.
  • Posted

wow I'm 3 years late but when I was 20 I was taking zoloft for about a year then one day at a restaurant I fainted. I woke up at lunch time during that time of my life and would take zoloft when I woke up. I probably took it on an empty stomach so that probably didn't help. and I also didn't drink much water either. I could've been on my period and I was eating MSG. perfect storm right ? luckily I stopped when the bottle was empty and my aunt gave me a seroquel and I fainted too. I quit cold turkey and smoked weed during times of my life where anxiety was high. I stay away from MSG since it does mess with your brain chemistry and give me anxiety, depression and heart palpitation for 2 weeks after. also turmeric. oh and caffeine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.