dizzy/light headed/nauseous 8 days post Colonoscopy / gastroscopy. please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks. I'm 24 years old and was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease 6 years ago. I'm on a strict gluten free diet however I would suffer diarrhoea and vomiting sometimes. I had a Colonoscopy /gastroscopy last Thursday and I am still struggling to recover. For 2 days after the procedures I had bad pain and diarrhoea. It then turned to dizziness high headeness and nausea. I ve no appetite and forcing tiny pieces of food down every few hours(I'm already under weight). I'm also trying to drink lots. I need to get well soon and I'm starting to panic as I have commited to some summercamps and I'll have to show up. I could not get talking to the consultant and was advised to check in with my GP. He was not v understanding and just said it should pass. Can anyone offer any advice..as to why I'm feeling so bad 8 days later and is there anything I could do or take that might help me to recover. Time is not on my side. Thank you in advance

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Initially I thought it sounded like you had an infection, not necessarily caused by the colonoscopy because everything is sterilised but I'm sure your GP wouldve picked up on this

Have you thought about a probiotic to try and rebalance your gut? I must admit I was sceptical but was getting to the end of my patientce with diarrhoea bouts & stomach cramping even though I was sticking to a strict gluten free diet but had got to the point of trying anything. The nutritionalist that i was referred to suggested symprove and after an initial few days of feeling rough my gut is a lot better and more settled than it has been since being diagnosed, it's worth a try

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply

I really hope it won't turn into an infection as I've developed an allergy to most antibiotics

I actually have a box of probiotics sitting on the table. My doc doesn't believe in taking probiotics

I m going go give them a go anyway

I'm nervous about taking them until after Saturday as I've an important interview coming up on Saturday and I'm afraid the probiotics might make me sick. May I ask did you have any tummy upset after taking them?

• Posted

Not so much upset, but definitley 'different' and I didnt stray too way from toilets just in case but it was as if the probiotics were 'kicking ass' so to speak.

It was only for the first few days and now after only a week into the course i feel much better and for the first time in as long as i can remember i feel settled and my mood as well as my relationship with food is good as well

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. So glad to have found this site. I'll have to hold off taking them so until after the interview. I feel my whole life is a lie and I spend my time ducking and diving and hiding and pretending. I feel that Trying to deal with my symptoms and trying to hold down a job and a relationship is beyond exhausting and distressing. Having Coeliac Disease is life changing for sure. Thank you again. So wonderful to be able to speak with other Coeliacs.
  • Posted

Good Luck with your interview - Taking control is the first step to not being controlled, whether it's people, situations or your own body.
    • Posted

Thank you. Food for thought!!. Clearly I'm not in control. Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your sound advice.
  • Posted

Hi

Are you have gluten sensitivity or Coelic Disease, as result from current

colonscopy?The first reveal normal brush intestine inner surface the second

brushless surface. In two cases you avoid any wheat products and also rice and

potatos except yam (sweet type). if you have suspetiouse infectious disease you may test blood and stool even on your expense due to time sensitivity..Added

honey(real honey not market honey) to your diet even you have Diarrhea contiuing  . you can fell better after couple days .

• Posted

I forgot to tell you somthing. Don't take probiotic pills or capsules because it is containig Gluten surly.
    • Posted

Hi

I'm interested to know why you have suggested that someone who has a wheat intolerance or has Coeliacs should avoid rice & potatoes?

Also I agree that a lot of probiotics do contain gluten but Symprove, the product that I am taking is gluten & dairy free

• Posted

Hit send by mistake. I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease about six years ago following a gastroscopy. I keep to a very strict gluten free diet however I've failed to gain weight and I react to more and more gluten free foods as I go on. Hence I had a Colonoscopy and gastroscopy ten days ago. the results will not be available for six weeks. It's along time to wait but so be it. I found it difficult to recover from the procedures. I feel I'm getting there now but still have away to go. I started to panic as I wasn't able to eat and I had a big interview yesterday and commitments to summer camps. I do eat alot of rice and I know there is a question mark over rice for Coeliacs. I may have to cut it out. I'm so grateful to those who recommended probiotics. I'm still holding off as my tummy is just recovering and I don't want to put anything into it yet that may cause it to react. I will give them a go in about a week. Thank you for replying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.