Dizzy on a plane (Taking off and landing) Ship when there is swell on the sea and also in fast movin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone else on here feel dizzy on a plane thats taking off like I do. Its really bad and scares me to death. I am not scared of the plane crashing although I dont like to be in small planes. I prefer 747s for example. 

Also when the sea has a swell or is "Rough" I cant walk around because I feel so lightheaded with it.

The same in a fast moving lift.  

Interestingly I never feel sick and have never been sick. Just the lightheaded and dizzy feelings. Anyone experienced this? If so its not good is it.

I wonder if there is anyway to stop feeling dizzy lightheaded in these situations. 

Thanks

Shirley

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes taking off and landing isn't pleasant. For me taking off is worse. Once the plane is up at cruising height then its fine. I think its a case of your eyes not seeing what your inner ears are sensing and so you get this awful mismatch (the vertigo). The same can be said I guess for boats and lifts.

I experience the lightheadeded most days, although some days are better than others. sometimes with nausea, sometimes without, but it is always there. If I compare myself to 5 years ago, I am a lot better, so I guess thats progress.

I wish I could give you a magic pill to stop these dizzy feelings but I haven't found them myself yet.

All the best !

• Posted

Hi DizzyDarren, Thanks for your reply.  I agree totally.  Taking off is worse than landing. As you say,  once at cruising height its fine. That vertigo is awful.  It makes me wonder how many people on a plane feel this way.Im guessing not so many and I  have even wondered if my balance mechanism is highly sensative or even faulty. Sorry to hear you feel light headed every day. Am glad its better now than it was 5 years ago though. I get dizziness in bed! Woke up severely dizzy once and it really shuck me up. Doc said it was BBPV. I dread it happening again.

Thanks again. 

Shirley

• Posted

I think that feeling slight nausea in a fast moving lift is normal. Going down maybe one gets a slight feeling of weightlessness.

I gather that if the lift was accelerating downwards at 32 feet per sec squared you would feel weightless. Presumably when going down normally one would feel partially less weight than normal.

Apparently going up one feels an increased weight. A feeling probably of sinking in to the floor.

• Posted

Its not so much nausea Nick as dizziness. And its not slight in a fast moving lift or plane taking off either,   though clearly the sensation is much worse in a plane than a lift. I think its a vestibular problem or my balance mechanism is too sensative or even faulty.  Thanks for replying anyway. I know what you are getting at.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.