Dizzy on sertraline

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing dizziness on sertraline? I've been on it for 3 months, i had dizziness for the first 3-4 weeks which stopped, I've upped my dose gradually to 125 and have been dizzy for 10 days whilst on 100 then worse on 125. Seeing doc friday, I may have to drop back to 100. 100 was helping general anxiety/ health anxiety but not enough for stressful situation I faced, hence upping again. But 125 and the dizziness and feeling of nausea is now triggering my health anxiety again cos Im now worrying in case it's NOT a side effect of the sert but something worse?! Anyone else dizzy on sert after a period without dizziness? Thanks everyone x

4 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had GAD/panic attacks for 25 years and finally went for help. I started on 50mg and after about 3 months I started to feel great!! After about 6 months I started to feel stressed again. Dr increased me to 75 mg and now I'm having a new side effect- tingling of the lips and face which throws me into a full blow attack. I finally have the palpitations under control and now this!! Anybody have the same problem?

Thanks!!!

• Posted

You must be super strong to have managed for all those years. I can't say about increase in dose and effects, but I can say that you being strong means that if you can try to have some supportive things happening alongside the chemicals then that will make you even stronger. If you have the reesources to get hypnotherapy for example then try it. Also have good look at dietry modification for foods that give the best things to increase Seratonin and related 'goodies'.

What I do know is how hard it is to deal with Panic and Anxiety with sensationbs of the body that you don't understand as they are 'new'. Do try to fight the monkey on the shoulder telling you it's awful and accept that it is the chemicals in the body causing reactions. Tough but you can do it. 

All the best and keep talking on here. 

• Posted

Thanks to all who replied on this forum and sorry, I haven't had message alerts for ages so I apologise for not responding! Still on sert, 150 for 5 weeks and 4.5 mths in total. Feel loads better tho I still get anxiety when triggers occur like chest pain/palpitations,

And often just before I go out to the shops or whilst in a supermarket! Not worked for a while (teaching), looking for something else less stressful and decorating in the meantime! I find it therapeutic. How are you all doing?

• Posted

Hi Julie. 

Pleased you are doing well. And I really don't blame you for looking for another job, I only work 3 days a week now because of anxiety.

iv been on sertraline now for 3 months and still on 25mg I seem to be coping with that dose at the moment, I dare not up it as one of the side effects I'm getting is hair loss ( thinning ) my hair is my pride and joy.

if I up it I'm worried it will come out even more.

other than that I'm feeling ok.

hope you continue to be on the up.

ps when you've finished decorating you can come and do mine lol x

• Posted

Lol I've been decorating for friends of friends for some cash as the school I've worked at doing supply for 10 years has stopped calling me, maybe cos I wasn't available for a month after Xmas due to being I'll! So no sick pay as I'm not on contract. She always was a piece of work (boss), I'd rather work for myself painting,decorating,tiling than work under someone like that. Yes I've noticed my hairs dwindling too, loads cones out when I wash it or comb it after a shower, wonder if it'll grown thicker once we've cone off the sertraline...its good that you're doing well on such a low dose. It concerns me a bit that I'm taking so much and yet still get anxiety at times! 3x 40 mg propranalol (betablockers), 150 sertraline and occasionally 2 mg diazepam on a bad day! And if I'm late taking a betablockers I feel the anxiety in my chest then realise I'm late taking it. Glad to hear you're doing better Julie, hope things continue to improve for us all x

• Posted

Hey all,

I've just started sertraline 50mg after 3 years attempting to battle anxiety/depression by myself (long walks upward, cliff drops back down again, repeat). I was just wondering if it's normal to have such trouble sleeping after 2 days? I'm on antibiotics at the same time got about 30 nasty insect bites!

Anyway I'm hoping to keep usage to a minimum while motivating myself to do things to improve my mood. I really don't feel like it but I'm gonna push to go gym it today.

I really hope I get my joy, energy and enthusiasm for life back so I can make music and sing again, but mostly I like helping and inspiring others with my creative ideas and philosophies. I'm a real fighter! But it seems I need to focus on helping myself at the moment.

It's been a real struggle without anti-depressants, but I have never taken for more than 2 months. Hopefully I stick to it this time and think of the future, 6 months of side effects is worth it, probably? I don't know because I never got that far. It always creeps back and I don't even notice it. :-)

• Posted

Good morning Julie.

you are on a lot of medication, 

with having so much medication, could it be too much??

honestly iv got a draw full of tablets which didn't suit me, beta-blockers. Goodness knows how many packets of anti acid drugs.

Now they want to change my hrt. And I have to pay for them all.

i did read that once we stop taking it our hair will return. Iv just ordered a shampoo that's supposed to help. But that for a little bottle was over £20.

at least your doing something to keep you busy, and if your like me if I'm doing something I don't think of my anxiety. 

I take it your in England, 

have a good day Julie 

speak soon x

• Posted

What a brilliant attitude to where you want to be and how you will achieve it. OK, Sert @ 50mg will take about 4/8 weeks to level you off. There may well be nausia (not puking, just horrible nausia). best way to deal wit that is eat something...yes honestly. Do try not to be tempted to up your dose if you feel it isn't helping in the first 3/4 weeks. The very best advice I had at the start was stick with it, it will be sh## but hang in there as it will get better but takes time. You system must adjust to the chemical. Too many people change their dose too early; try to do those gyms and walks when you feel OK and when you don't, then just lie down and use relaxation CDS with ear phones that cover your ears.

Your sleep pattern could thake quite some time to settle as well. Try to deal with that without medication; teas, herbal stuff maybe?

Good luck and all the best.

Phil  

• Posted

Hi, my sleep isn't good on sertraline either...I am often still awake at 3am unless I take a sominex,, then I sleep for England! Yes try and stick it out, it'll be worth it! I'm 4 months in, now on 150 sert and 70% well I'd say. Still have rubbish days maybe once a week, generally when I have chest pain or palpitations and get anxiety as a result, but i am so much better than at Xmas, thanks to sertraline, betablockers, diazepam on a really bad day and CBT/hyonotherapy. I've put in loads of weight, my skin has been terrible, but I have less anxiety and feel and think more positively. Hope you will hasn't on in there to get the full benefit of the Sert. Yes any exercise is a great idea, its something I need to get back into...I got a bit paranoid with the palps and lost confidence to get heartrate up, but I need to overcome that and get some daily exercise, starting with walking. All the best and keep in touch.

• Posted

Typo! * hope you will hang on in there to get the full benefit of the sert!
    • Posted

Hi Julie, yes I'm in England.yes I know what you mean about the meds, I struggled with panic attacks for 18 mths without medication, so when they became constant at night I was desperate. My heartrate and Bp were crazy hence the betablockers. I take 3 a day and if I am late I know about it in my chest. I get the anxiety in my chest, burning and palpitations and the BBS stop the adrenalin effects on the heart. I'm quite settled on the sert at 150 and when the time is right I'll step down.diazepam I take maybe once a week on a bad day, 2mg low dose. hrt is half a patch, so 25mg.I'll just see how it goes...my main concern is getting well enough to lead a happier life.yes I'm also better when busy doing stuff...less thinking and more doing!right I must try and sleep, catch up soon, take care xx

• Posted

Hi

Can anyone tell me when the dizzy spells will go , I’ve been 4 weeks on 100mg and 1 week on 150mg also just started 15mg Mirtazapine 5 days ago , dizzyness is my main problem 

Matt 

• Posted

Same here, although this is week 9-10 for me and I'm on 150 mg. Did you ever find relief ?

• Posted

hi Julie

i take 25 mg too of sertraline im on day 9

ive has most of the side effects! and feel rubbish most days at least until lunchtime nausea upset stomach dizzy spaced out! im hoping it will get better soon as my anxiety gets worse sometimes again so i take propranalol if required

does it take much longer?!?!

its an awful feeling 😦

• Posted

Did the dizziness ever wear off ? I know when people get better they stop coming here and reporting, which sucks for the rest of us. My dosage of sertraline was increased to 150 mg about 9-10 weeks ago and while I don't feel dizzy all of the time, sometimes I have dizzy spells of I move my head too quickly or I look down too quickly. Not sure if that makes any sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.