Dizzy spells

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, 

I'm quite new to my diagnosis and have started treatment of methotrexate at 7.5m which has recently been increased to 15mg and am on paracetomol and ibruprofen. 

I have a very swollen middle finger that feels like its full of fluid and my other arm I have ulnar nerve entrapment. Which is why my dose was increased.

My main concern of my condition at the moment is the funny feeling that I get when I've been walking for about 30 mins. It's like I'm going to fall over, it's like a dizzy spell but its like my whole body is feeling it. 

Does anyone else experience this and if so how do you deal with it. 

Thank you for your time

Emma

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Emma..

UR really suffering thru a lot of issues at once. I can really sympathize with u.

perhaps the combination of meds are causing the dizzyness. Methrothrexate has many side effects. It is always sad when meds that are designed to help us make us  sick. It seems to happen more in today's pharmacudical erra than in the past. There's a pill for everything.. Side effects are crazy. I took meds for RA& psoriatic arthritis,FM -Mobic.& Cymbalta.. I was never so sick in my entire life as I was from that little pill trial of those two drugs. I actually now only take asprin & Tylenol flexeril or Tramadol.. Woks fine for me. Very little issues from them.

Be sure to let UR dr know of this effects u ASAP. It is always a disappointment when trying new meds when they don't work out.

MTX is commonly given for RA, PsA.many other auto immune diseases. Controls swelling and helps prevent bone damage. So the benefits of the drug is promising. MTX IS A DEMARD & should not be used with NSAIDS.. There are many reasons for adverse effects from MTX?

If the dizziness continues or gets worse call UR physician. There are other choices of drugs on the market for UR condition. It's basically trying to locate a drug that u can tolerate and do its job. 

take care..

((hugs ))

• Posted

Hi Emma,

I started Methotrexate on quite a low dose too, but as the dosage was increased, I started to get side effects on the day I took it. I felt quite nauseous and would often black out, which was scary. Eventually my rheumy suggested that instead of tablets, I have Methotrexate injections. I eventually went up to 25 mls injections with no ill effects. So maybe you should ask your rheumy if you would be better on injections. 

• Posted

I must disagree with the statement that MTX and NSAIDS should not be used concurrently. It's done all the time and I have never heard of a contraindication in the 20+ years that I've taken both.

I don't believe dizziness is a symptom of MTX. I would look to other causes.

• Posted

Thank you for your comments, my consultant didn't make any suggestions that I shouldn't take them so I carried on. 

I'm still trying to work out what's caused by the condition and what's the medication. Xx

• Posted

Before I started on Methotrexate, I was taking Sulphasalazine (another DMARD) alongside NSAIDS. I took Diclofenac and Indomethacin alongside Sulphasalazine for 13 years, so I agree with you.
    • Posted

Hi, 

Thank you for replying, with the medication your on now do you still have pain etc. or is it kept at bay. ? Xx

• Posted

I had to stop methotrexate in January 2013 as I was about to start chemotherapy. So I only took the 10mg Leflunomide. It was fine whilst I was on chemo, and for about 8 months after. Now I need something added in but I'm waiting for a diagnosis about another problem I have, to see what drugs I need for that first. So at the moment, I am suffering big time.
  • Posted

If u look up MTX it wars about taking DMARDS .. I took them together & stiffened extreme migraines and nausea. Everyone is different.

indomethian is also a drugs I no longer taker it too has side effects. I cannot tolerate. My doc said to take it short term only can cause osteo. See online warnings.Thats always useful yet not all of us agree or fall into the same reactions to meds.

hope u r all well.

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for replying. 

I'm so impatient at trying to get back to feeling normal again as I think everyone on here probably is. 

I'm finding it a bit of a strain at work because I'm tired and although you explain they don't really get it. My kids and partner are supportive but I think they are fed up of my moaning. 

Oh well. 

Hope you are ok xx

• Posted

Hey, I can only tell you what my 20+ years' experience AND the experience of others who have posted on other RA forums has been.

Yes, some people who take MTX do get nausea, but as suggested by someone else, the injectable version is appropriate for those who  can't tolerate the nausea. Also folic acid should be taken concurrently.

In the end, many drugs MAY have side effects, but if you take the tiem to read the stats on adverse effects, the rates are quite low and/or the side effects are tolerable.

As far as migraines from MTX.......that would be very, very, very rare....and as far as I know, no one's been able to document that they are the result of MTX,

Here's the reality: this is a hard disease that requires hard drugs. You need to choose between possible side effects of a drug, or permanent, irreversible bone/joint damage that will be debilitating.

In the ned

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.