Dizzy spells, lightheaded.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I first posted on here 3/4 weeks ago after blood tests showed I had an overactive thyroid.The doctor think it`s Graves as I have some eye problems too. These forums have been a great source of information and helped me get through those 1st weeks.

However I`m a bit concerned because for the past 3 days I`ve been lightheaded.  This comes in spells, so maybe a better description is `dizzy spells.` I saw the duty GP yesterday who told me to stop the beta blockers (bisoprolol) and that helped as I wasn`t too bad last evening (after I usually take the bisopropol), but today the dizzyness has come back, but not as bad as its been over the weekend.  I`m wondering are dizzy spells another hyperthyroid symptom.

I still haven`t gotten my blood levels from my doctor - all he told me is that I was extremely hyperthyroid- and yesterdays GP  told me that my levels are getting better.  At one point the GP looked my symptoms up in a handbook - so as you can see this doesn`t give me much confidence with my local doctors. I`m due to see the endo team in 2 weeks time and hoping to get more answers then. Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I think your light headed symptoms are causaed by the Bisoprolol.  I know when I take Propranolol (the equivalent of Bisoprolol) that the effects last for a few days even after I have stopped taking it.  You need to get started on an antithyroid drug as soon as possible to control your hyperthyroidism.  I would not be dismayed that the doc had to look up symptoms in his handbook.  Doctors have a lot of information to cover and have to keep on top of a lot of conditions.  However, that said, the Graves patients that do the best in recovery are those that do their own research and take responsibility for their own recovery.  I did that even after my doctor started me on an antithyroid drug.  When on the drug, my T3 and T4 level normalized right away but my TSH remained at less than 0.01 for 2 years.  I did some research and learned about L-carnitine which is an amino acid that is naturally found in the body but gets depleted in hyperthyroid patients as it is lost from muscles and urine.  So I took L-carnitine supplements and it greatly helped my recovery to the point where I no longer have antibodies.
  • Posted

I have been getting dizzy spells and been hyperthyroid for 6 years. Docs said they were nothing to do with hyperthyroidism but weren't interested in finding out what caused them. Unfortunately it's a long road to find a good endo who cares enough to help if you aren't suffering from a text book case. 6 years on i have finally found a female endo - what a difference.  Caring, interested in my symptoms and willing to get answers. My experience of male endo's is answers such as "it's all in your head, thyroid doesn't do this" or just simply there must be an underlying cause. No interest shown at all and they don't seem to listen to a thing I say. I suppose they put it down to me being female ugh! 
  • Posted

I find there are good and bad docs in both genders.  The patient that empowers herself and insists on being treated respectfully usually makes them wake up.  If they are that bad, I don't go back to them.  I have been so fortunate to have such a great general practitioner with common sense as well as a good endo.
    • Posted

You have been lucky. I have seen 2 of u k's best and a further 6 endo's in the space of 6 years. I got no answers and just kept on the meds. Can't drive anymore as the symptoms are so bad and I have a lot of symptoms they believe aren't thyroid related but not interested in finding out what they are from. I have tested positive to mould and once positive and once negative to porphyria. My hands and chest are bright red and I am allergic to a huge amount of environmental factors, foods and medicines. 
  • Posted

Just in the last month, I have had a lot of respiratory symptoms.  I am allergic to dust and there is a ton of it in my house since the landlord installed a new furnace.  I think we can strengthen our immune systems though.  I need to see a Naturopath.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.