Dizzy spells..post viral illness..how long?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i wonder if anyone has had anything like this..i queried if it was labyrithitis but they said its a post viral illness and will clear up in time.

Im 40 and no significant medical history

In Mid April this year I had sudden onset of dizziness whilst at work I went to the GP who said it was probably a virus. That night i had indigestion and chest pain and went to A&E - i think it may have had a panic attack as the tests were normal.

Since then the dizzy spells have occured regularly when at work and for the last month or so constant lightheadedness. I was off for four weeks from work but am back now and the dizzy spells have returned...I do work in an office and use a computer most of the day. The spells seem to last no more than 30 mins and no more than one a day. I dont get everything spinning..i have a feeling of being very unsteady on my fee and have to sit down.

Ive had two sets of blood tests and they also tested for bacteria and glandular fever - all have come back ok. I did have my eyes tested a few weeks ago and found out i needed varifocals - this has helped with the headaches.The GP says its post viral and will clear up eventually. I have had a feeling of blocked ears for most of the three months and the last couple of weeks there has been pain behind the ears and a tightness on each side of my throat and some neck pain.. On one visit to the GP she did look in my ears and said she could see fluid in there. Ive had no medication and last went to the GP about a month ok..Any advice would be welcome...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Jam,

It sounds pretty much like the same stuff that we all seem to go through. I lost track of my months with this stuff now. Think I am around 10 months now. It gets much better with vestibular exercises and regular exercise. I had a similar experience but not exact. Think it's all viral! Go see an audiologist! You may need to visit an ENT first to get a referral

• Posted

Jam sorry to hear you've joined the dizzy club. I went to bed one night fairly OK and woke the next day with BPPV, it has been ongoing since last september now with balance problems.  I think computers do effect the overall condition as does tiredness.  Every aspect of life is affected as i have been stumbling around trying to prevent myself from falling over on bad days, some days are better than other.  You need a referral from your GP.  I am waiting to be seen for vestibular therapy and hoping it will improve the condition but i am starting to think it will be ongoing for the rest of my life, or that it will disappear as mysteriously as it arrived.  I know when my eyes have problems focusing that my balance will be affected within minutes.  There are so many layers to this condition that it is hard to find one trigger so i wish you all the best with your diagnosis and treatment.

• Posted

Same thing happens to me regarding eyes.I often feel as though I am functioning in slow motion an almost feel paralysed when I get out of bed or even sit up.

it has been a nightmare for over a year and like you I do not see an end to it.I agree that it is so difficult to tackle  as there are so many different triggers.

• Posted

I notice that if i exert myself too much or get stressed then my eyes start with the focus problem as if i can't see things as clearly, also my neck and back feel as though they are connected to the problem it's worse when my neck is stiff and my spine feels weak.  It's hard to explain.  Tiredness definitely makes it all worse.  I have stopped smoking recently hoping it might make a difference.  I think we have to learn to pace ourselves as i am use to doing things quite quickly so i now try to do things more slowly.

• Posted

Hi, thanks very much for your replies...im going to go back to me GP to see if I can get referred. As you say this is horrible and has had a major impact ...good luck to you..
  • Posted

I have so many of the same symptoms as you ----neck/throat/ears and feel as though I am about to pass out.Unfortunately it seems to be getting worse and as Isuffer with anxiety disorder it  seems to be a vicious circle and I cannot tell  whether or not I am really ill or just having panic attacks.

iMy doctors tell me I am not ill,but every day I feel as though I am about to collapse.Consequently I have stopped going out and this is seriously affecting my day to day life.I cannot remember when I last felt well.This is so debilitating and I sympathise with you got going through this nightmare too.

• Posted

I had symptoms of dizziness, loss of balance, numbness in feet and hands. Finally realised that it was a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I'm now taking an iron syrup with Vitamin b12 and folic acid. Also taking a vitamin supplement containing methylcobalamin 1500mcg. Feeling much better in 1 day. Also I reduced the antacids I was taking as this hinders absorption of Vitamin B12. Take a liquid antacid like gelusil if you head feels heavy sometimes. Also, Vitamin B12 deficiency causes contipation. So if you are constipated take a laxative.
  • Posted

In a similar situation, 7th week of Labyrinthtis now waiting on a referral thinking it wil never end, forgotten what it feels like to feel normal now sad

Are you starting to see any improvement yet?

• Posted

Wow your illness sounds just like mine! I see you wrote it a year ago, are you better now? Did anything solve it and how long did it take? I've been off work 5 months as can't drive due to dizziness and I'm so desperate to return to normal :-(

• Posted

I have had dizzy spells on and off since having sepsis. Would be happy to talk to you about yours as I find I can still work but at times it slows me down and I get concerned about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.