Dizzy spells today

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I had stuff to do today that I could not leave. I have since had several dizzy spells. I get these  when I do the school run. Has anyone fully passed out? Dont want to scare my kids 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I came close to fully passing out when I took a hot shower. Do you get dizzy when standing up rapidly or when you're standing for a period of time? Do you have low blood pressure? If so, and if you get dizzy when standing, you may have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). Google POTS and see if the symptoms resonate with you. Sometimes POTS can be handled by ingesting sodium and potassium, for instance, in Gatorade or other drinks with electrolytes. Right now, I'm experimenting with Campbell's chicken broth, a canned soup that has both.
    • Posted

Hi. I do have low bp. Googled and read but none the wiser. I thought this was because of the exhaustion. I will mention to  GP on next visit. Thanks for advice. 
    • Posted

One thing you can easily do, as I am doing, is to experiment a bit before seeing your GP. As I mentioned in a previous post, try taking a drink with electrolytes, like Gatorade or another sports drink. Or try a canned soup, which typically has high sodium and potassium.  See if you feel better. This is an easy non-drug approach to try.
    • Posted

I will certainly try that. A friend swears by coconut water but  only 100% natural version. A miracle drink by all accounts! 
    • Posted

Remember, you want something high in sodium and potassium, for possible POTS. This goes again medical advice for "normal" people, which of course says to minimize sodium. I think coconut water has a lower sodium content, which in usual circumstances would be preferable.
    • Posted

Oh ok. Have seen amazing results on friend. But will look into your suggestions. Thank you so much for your advice. I am willing to try anything to feel better. 
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

I also have dizzy spells and have unfortunately passed out several times. I can offer you the tips that have worked for me but I would suggest talking to your doctor about it for a professional opinion.

With me the dizzy spells come when I have over exhurted myself and my blood pressure drops suddenly. I have found that resting when I feel them coming on helps tremendously as I only have a few close together. I do understand that this is not always possible. However, when I push through mine I end up with numerous episodes throughout the day.

If it is possible I would advise identifying the main times you have these dizzy spells and see if there are any corrolating aspects to them. This will help you to avoid them. For example, you said that you have them on the school run. Is there a less strenuous way of doing the run or could someone else do it for you? Equally it could be that you are doing too much before the school run, so is there anyone who could help you or a less strenuouse way of doing everything you need to?

My biggest peice of advice though would be to consult your doctor so that you have a medical opinion about it all.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I think i will chat to GP on my next visit. Due to go cfs clinic in january. So hopefully will get advice from them too. I am limiting activity where i can but still struggling.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.