Dizzyness after walking, 16 year old girl?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay so I just had something strange happen. I was walking outside with my mom talking to her while she was walking for exercise, and was walking for a bit (probably about 10-15 minutes) without stopping while talking to her. And when I came back in and sat down, I noticed that the room looked like it was zooming out or something. This went on for a minute or two probably and then stopped.

I've actually had some pretty out of nowhere dizzy spells in the past as well that weren't brought on by exercise or anything like that, but I dismissed them as an anxiety symptom because I've struggled with pretty severe health anxiety for quite some time, but this happened after exercise which is concerning me.

I haven't been that active of a person, and I probably don't drink enough water (a lot of tea though). It also is a little bit hot here but I didn't feel like I was overheating when I was walking, and we just had some rain so it wasn't quite as bad as it's been being.

So, basically, my question is should I be worried? Is there something more serious going on or is it just something like dehydration or whatever?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Sincerely, an anxious dork.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you could have low blood pressure or possibly be anemic.

• Posted

My mom had suggested the possibility of me being anemic before. I don't remember how it came up, but apparently it runs in the family. My grandma has had that issue since she was young. I actually kind of hope it's that if it has to be something physical (rather than something a lot more serious)

If it happens to be low blood pressure, what could cause that in someone my age? Should I be overly concerned about that?

I want to get a doctor's appointment, but my parents are fully aware of my struggle with health anxiety and I highly doubt they'd take me seriously if I told them I was worried about something like a heart problem (which is exactly what I'm worried about) considering I am only 16.

Also, we're kind of a poor family, so I doubt they'd want to spend the money getting me tested for things it's unlikely I have to begin with. 😕

• Posted

Do you find your dizziness is worse when you get your period? If it is, maybe try some ferrous sulphate tablets. Also get some multivitamins in case you have a deficiency.

Certain medication can cause low blood pressure like antidepressants or beta blockers, do you take anything like that?

You can get quite cheap blood pressure monitors from amazon if you are worried.

• Posted

I don't take any medications at all. I haven't noticed whether it's worse during my period or not, however this happened I believe a few days after my period ended. The dizzy spells I have aren't extremely frequent either, and before now they were completely random, not brought on by exercise at all as far as I remember.

• Posted

my guess is it is probably anemia then, if it already runs in your family. Try ferrous sulphate tablets and see if they help.

• Posted

Get your ears checked out, i suffer with dizziness. Hope you feel better x

• Posted

I definitely have issues with my ears getting clogged from what's probably sinus allergies. Could that be what's causing it? But if it was that, it wouldn't have been triggered by exercise would it? Then again, it could've also been a coincidence that it happened right after I got done walking, because it's happened completely randomly with no apparent trigger to me before in the past.

• Posted

This can happen with anxiety, I have had a feeling of knowing where I am but everything seems distant, it is so scary. Anixety is a strange thing and comes on even when we think we are okay and not worrying about anything, I have 50 years of it. I have a theory it can start with puberty, as mine started then, after the menopause I began to feel less anxious. I know all those years is scary, if you have anxiety please get help now and do not waste your best years.

• Posted

I'm fully aware of dizziness being an anxiety symptom! I had chalked it up to that for awhile, but it concerns me that this happened right after I got done walking. I hadn't even been walking for that long, like I said probably between 10-15 minutes, and when I came back in and sat down it looked like the room was zooming out/spinning/something like that.

I really hope it does turn out to be anxiety or something less serious and not something I should be overly concerned about. I had gotten over my health anxiety for awhile but now things are triggering it again and it's driving me nutso.

• Posted

Update: I'm 99.9% sure it's anemia. I have definitely noticed that I've had a couple of brief, mild dizzy spells during my period, and I'm also now remembering that it tends to be kind of watery sometimes which is also a sign of anemia. I'm a lot less concerned about that than I would be something way more serious, but now I need to get up the courage to tell my parents so I can get it checked out and hopefully treated, Lol. Wish me luck.

• Posted

It's also apparently a common problem in girls with heavy periods, and I'm one of those girls. So that on top of my grandma (and my mom at one point too I think because I remember her having to take iron) having it gives me a pretty good reason to think that's what's going on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.