DLA

Posted , 4 users are following.

Another gem from my travels around the sites! If you are under 65 and whether or not you are working you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance. A lady posting on the BLF site said \" I came out with top rate mobility and middle rate personal care, because I am on LTOT. I have traded my mobility part for a car...\" This was followed by a post from a BLF moderator saying to phone their helpline first as they have two people advising on benefits and how to approach them as a lot of people with copd / lung diseases miss out because it is not a highly visible disability.

Also those who are not on oxygen may be entitled too. It depends on things like how far you can reasonably walk etc. so its worth finding out. Not only that but from what I can gather once you qualify for one thing then all the others become easier to get. eg. once you have DLA there's no quibbling about council tax reductions, blue badges for the car and so on.

I think if I were on LTOT I would use my DLA to buy one of those super battery powered lightweight \"handbag\" portable oxygen concentrators, I think they're called 'Freestyle'. The lady talking about the DLA had one and was saying how she used hers when she went to Greece on holiday and she had a great time. I bet that would suit Jacee for her travels 8) Well, once again, hope this will be of help to someone. Remember to phone BLF first for the help and 'low down', luv to all vanessa. ps, still got vertigo!

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I shouldn't think we are putting people off as there is a lot of useful information on this thread.

At least I hope not :cry:

• Posted

what Vanessa said about inflated cost of equipment applies to the oximeters,

I purchased a brand new one for £23 on E bay, have had it for several months, it has the same calibration accuracy as the hospital ones.

best investment I have made for years

• Posted

Well done Antique, making a profit is what makes the world turn but massively overcharging for medical items is immoral. Glad you found one cheaper.

Jacee

:lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.