DLA TO PIP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I have recently just received a pip award letter on behalf of my son who has ADHA and severe ASD. He turned 16 in September 2016 and was on higher rate care and higher rate mobility.

He has been put on enhanced rate of pip which we are so pleased about.

My questions are, he has "for an on going period" on the award claim, is this the equivalent to a DLA indefinite award?

Also, the award date starts 22nd of February and first pip payment won't be paid until 17th march covering 22nd February to the 16th of March. His last DLA payment was on 30th December and is due another about now but no pending transactions showing up in my bank account.

Do they just stop paying the DLA once the award for pip has been made? And is it. Penal to have such a gap in his benefits until the first payment of his pip is made?

Seems a little strange that there would be a gap. Going to phone them tomorrow to see what's going on but just wondered if anyone else on here may be able to he'd some light on this for us.

Thanks in advance.

Dawn 😊

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That meant to say ADHD rolleyes

• Posted

HI Dawn, the maxium amount of time for a PIP award before review is 10 years. Does say on the letter a date after which they'll contact him? Also he should have 1 more DLA payment before his PIP payments start. Yes there's usually a wait between DLA stopping and payments starting for PIP. Great news on the PIP award too!

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Thank you! We are so happy with this outcome as he had been on higher rate for both on DLA for 12 years but had heard so many horror stories about the change from DLA to pip.

I thought it was 10 years maximum I will have to check the letter again for a date but don't recall seeing one on there.

I thought that he should still have one more DLA Payment due to him as he is still owed one but it's already been four weeks and nothing yet 😔 His DLA was originally due to stop in March but as capita were taking ages to get back to me with a date for his home assessment I phoned them up and had it extended till sept 2017 to cover any waiting period. I did think it was a bit odd to just stop the DLA and not cover the weeks owed up until the pip starts. Will keep an eye on my account and phone them I think.

• Posted

Just checked the letter again it says 19th of December 2026 so yes 10 years! Can't believe it, so pleased for him.

Also it says that his DLA ends on February 21st so maybe there is a delay with that payment or something. Will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for replying 😊

• Posted

You should be paid any DLA up until 21st Feb then PIP would start 22nd Feb. I'm sure you'll be paid it just maybe a little later than usual. Once it's paid payment dates would be right. Give them a call tomorrow once they're open.

• Posted

Hi Dawn. Ive also just had to transfer from dla to pip. Like you Got enhanced on mobility. But standard on living. However my payments are due to start 17th march. I rung them friday. I still get and so should you payments until then. I get mine tommoroe. And last 1 end of feb. Then march 17th my first pip payment start. If your award from dla was due to end like mine was in march. Its continued . But if worried ring them. As I was worried as in the letter it didnt state that. Only start date and how much Id receive on first payment. Goodluck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.