dla to pip

Posted , 8 users are following.

HI all. My dad has received dla to pip forms. he isn't going to return them because of stress and family matters. he knows he will lose his claim by not sending them.the thought of filling in forms and having interviews is making him more depressed. he is worried that not sending them in will lead to a dwp interview and loss of his pention and pention credit.

can anyone help please.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Vicktoria why not make an appointment at the CAB and they can help him and also have someone present with him at the interview I know it’s stressful but he’ll lose everything and why should he if he’s entitled to it also can you not take him to GP to say he’s getting ore depressed? I hope he gets sorted xx
  • Posted

Hi Viktoria please try and convince your Dad to fill in the forms and get some supporting evidence from his GP or any health professional why let the DWP take any monies he is entitled to, but if he is unfortunate enough to lose his case there's always the tribunal and if all else fails, he has, at least tried. Good Luck, zebra20

• Posted

Hi,

If he doesn't fill those forms out and return them by the date stated then his DLA will stop. It won't affect his pension but it could affect his pension credit, it will totally depend what he claims for in with his pension credit. Claiming the disability premium on top of pension credit will depend on his DLA award and whether or not he lives alone. If he's got a mid/high rate care award for DLA then it could be affected yes. If he claims housing benefit that could also be affected. As i said, it totally depends what he claims in with his pension credit but he won't lose all of it.

CAB are very good with helping with those forms. I know it's a mind field and extremely stressful, every single single person feels exactly the same way. Does he have someone that could go with him to the assessment, a family member perhaps? I don't think CAB attend assessments with people anymore because they just don't have the funding to do that.

• Posted

This sounds very much the same as another posters question a couple of days ago. May i ask how old your dad is, is he over 70? You don't have to say exactly how old he is just if he's under or over 70 and then i can help you further.

• Posted

Hi he 65 and has a wife who is trying to talk him into filling in forms. he gets pension credit which includes housing and poll tax he gets mobility allowance only no care allowance.
    • Posted

His council tax reduction is most likely more to do with the Pension credit than his DLA award and he won't lose the pension credit if he decides not to fill in and return the PIP form. As he doesn't claim the Care part of DLA then he wouldn't be claiming the premium on his pension credit and his wife wouldn't be claiming Carers Allowance for looking after him either. For this you need a mid/high rate care DLA award.

If he claim high rate mobility DLA and has the mobility car instead then he would need to return the car as he would no longer be entitled to claim this.

The only thing he does need to think about is, this will be his very last chance to claim PIP and a disability benefit that has mobility with it. Once you reach 65 you can no longer claim PIP, it become attendance allowance and there's no mobility with that, it's care only.

The reason he's being asked to transfer from DLA to PIP now is because he was under the age criteria when PIP first came out in April 2013.

So really it's his choice whether he returns that form or not but relevent evidence will be needed to support his claim and a face 2 face assessment is highly likely as most have those.

Once that deadline passes for returning the form, if he hasn't returned it then his DLA will end 4 weeks later.

It won't affect any of his other benefits.

• Posted

omg this is so complicated. thankyou so much and everybody else for your help.his wife and I will try and convince him to go for it. will keep you posted.

thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Victoria, no one else on the site could give you better advice but can I ask a question, how old is your stepmum and does she claim a pension in her own right yet, I'm presuming she doesn't due to the fact your dad's claiming pension credit, tell them to check their total income before she claims, we ended up worse of once I got my pension, doesn't sound right but trust me it is correct

• Posted

The forms are quite long and it can seem daunting.

CAB are really good they filled my form in for me.

Denise is right they do not provide anyone to be with you for assessment or if you appeal.

Please do not be put off .

Good luck with it all.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.