DLA to PIP face to face assessment

Posted , 4 users are following.

have just been asked if I want to claim PIP when my DLA finishes, but I am worried about the face to face assessment, I will have to go to the Leeds center, but it is in a horrible place with difficult parking.. I have some walking difficulties and other health problems. What are the people like who assess you? I'm thinking of just not bothering, even the form filling is difficult I have been told. I don't leave the house much so its worrying me sick the thought of the whole thing.. Have you got any advice please

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you do decide to claim PIP then most people have face to face assessments. It's rare to have a paper based one. If you don't decide to claim it then your DLA will stop and this could affect any other benefits you could be claiming.

For PIP assessments then you could ask for a home assessment. A letter from your GP will be needed stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. Even then it's possible you could be refused. If you attend other appointments then they could tell you then if you can attend other appointments then you should have no problem attending the assessment centre.

During a face to face assessment you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. They will watch you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. You can take someone with you but you'll have to answer all those questions yourself.

Evidence will be needed to support your claim which should be sent when you return the form. They very rarely contact anyone for this.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. Lots of advice available on the internet about the PIP descriptors. I would advise you do some research into what the descriptors mean. Links can't be posted here, sadly.

If you do decide to apply then i'd advise you to put as much information as possible on the form about how your conditions affect you.

Good luck, what ever you decide to do.

• Posted

You could ask for a home assessment.

You can also have someone with you a friend or relative.

My assessor was very nice and fair and I did not feel she asked me any trick questions.

I think you have to ask for a copy of assessors report as they do not send it to you automatically but it will give you some idea of what the decision will be.

Good luck.

Keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.