Dla to pip I have been for assessment but no reply

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been to see a nurse about changing from dla to pip it's been 12 weeks do you normally get a letter or do they switch it over?

Thanks Jay.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jay.  You will get a letter from the DWP giving you their decision. Hang in there because there is a backlog in some areas and you may have to wait a little longer yet.  If you gave them a mobile number as contact you should get a text from them when they have enough info to make a decision and the decision letter will usually arrive soon after.  If you don't agree with your decision you have a time limit on appealing and the procedure is quite complex.  I am following your discussion so post again on here when you get your decision and if you want to appeal I'll do everything I can to help.

• Posted

Ok thank you for the response Pam.

I had to ask as my friend got changed over without a letter but had to double check a bit confussed why she did not.

• Posted

Hi Jay,

​More or less in same position DLA-PIP.

​Was told it would take either  4-6 or 6-8 weeks.

​Of course there is absolutely no stress in the waiting!

• Posted

Some people get a phone call to advise of the change once the decision is made but this is usually followed up with a letter eventually, because the decision letters are needed as proof of benefit award for things like motability.  Sometimes decisions are made quicker if a claimant is also in receipt of another benefit like ESA, or the DLA medical evidence is recent enough to be relevant
    • Posted

Re your comment about recent enough evidence. Do the DWP actually take the time and trouble to look for evidence that has been used for other benefits?

With some conditions that are permanent with no chance of recovery, the needs will only increase over time.

You mention to the poster that both DLA and & ESA evidence could be relevant. Could DLA evidence from early 2012, IIDB & ESA evidence from 2013 be relevant if it all eventually resulted in substantial awards being made based on it?

If it can be used, how can you force the assessor/DWP to get the files and look at it?

A lot of questions I know but I believe that what you are saying could help the poster and many others to seek that option.

• Posted

Where a claimant is claiming other benefits, the DWP are now beginning to examine evidence submitted for those claims.  They stress that medical evidence should be recent and relevant, but I take your point about conditions which are never likely to improve.   From my own experience I have seen instances where the DWP have not considered medical evidence submitted by a claimant from 2012/13 even though they have a substantial and stable condition - the DWP position was that they don't consider anything further back than the current year to be recent.  They do seem to be looking at claims for other benefits a lot more lately though and I think it is always worth stating on the PIP form is you are in receipt of any other disability benefit, as if there is good, recent evidence for that claim, it may save time and effort if they can apply it to the PiP claim. 

• Posted

Hi I was on DLA since 2002 with fribro and mental health.  Then they called me for a PIP assessment and because \i could walk into their office, smile and had eye contact and despite my daughter being there and telling them I wss in chronic psin, hsving to rest when walking after 10 mins, but could drive my car 10 minues, could feed myself etc I was awarded absolutely nothing and refused. I sobbed at their result. We told them I couldnt walk farm was often laid up in bed in pain, my daughter cooked for me as I also had severe depression for years.  All the questions were virtually the same as my old DLA form I kept a coy of from 2002.  I appealed. No. How one person sitting behind a computer could possible know and assess me is beyond a joke. My daughter spoke dor me.  I am severely despressed because of pain and now am housebound a lot. Yet they said I had muscleskototal control to drive my car and could understand road signs. yet I only drive 5 mins to my local store.  They would ot listen. I creied een as I said even my dog I cant alk far cos of pain. Made no difference, I can eat feed myself looked positive bright etc and had good eyecontact.  I have sent my last appeal in disgust to the last chance which the Courts in the North where they will review, but I know I have lost my fight, I cannot even now get a blue badge with my PIP but I had one with disability.  The system stinks.  Many get away with it. I see people with blue badges jumping spritely out of their cars. My friend has ME and has PIP and a blue badge. Yet fribro is worse than that I feel. I cannot think sometimes, ppain is never ending, sweats, food intolerance, no sleep, chemical sensitive so cannot take meds or pain killers.  Has anyone come up against this. My daughter brings my meals and son and help walk the dog and stuff. I try when able but am in pain and it is worse by the end of the day
    • Posted

I seem to be saying this a lot. Get your MP involved and ask them to investigate why you were turned down.  The problem with 'walking into their office' is that they know before you even get there, how far it is from the waiting room to the consulting room - it's at least 20 metres and if you can walk there and back you are likely to be judged as not qualifying for the mobility component.  As for the care component, it is not your disability or the symptoms which score the points, it's the effects of the disability on the range of activities in the assessment.  Lots of people fill in the forms and go for assessments without ever realising this - just stating your disability and symptoms is not enough, you have to clearly state how it affects your ability to do things like cook a meal, shower or bathe, go to the toilet etc. If you'be been to tribunal already there is little you can do other than apply for permission to go to tier 2 tribunal.  The trouble with this is that you cannot appeal to a tier 2 tribunal unless the adjudicator agrees that the decision is wrong on a point of law. You absolutely cannot do this on your own - get some advice from a benefits adviser and make an appointment to see your MP to see if they can help - it may also help to tell your GP what has happened and sent if they can help.

• Posted

With what you are saying and that you can only walk for about 10mins before you have to stop for a rest – that 10 minute walk would lie somewhere between 125 and 250 metres depending how slow you walk. You state that you could walk to the assessor’s room – that would be at least 20 metres.

So in any event you have not only shown that you can walk at least 20 metres but your statement shows that you could actually walk a lot further – up to 250 metres.

The limit to get enhanced mobility is no more than 20 metres.

As for driving a car – this is how the DWP view that activity:

“It is noted that xx can drive a car. The activity of driving a car is in itself a multitasking activity requiring significant physical function in terms of grip, power and upper and lower joint movements in conjunction with substantial cognitive powers of thought perception, memory, reasoning, concentration, judgement and co-ordination. It is considered that if xxx’s functioning was as affected as claimed then he would not be fit to drive and would be a severe danger on the road. There is no evidence to suggest that DVLA have been informed of such”

As for others that get PIP who in your opinion are not as disabled and have less needs than you have, I used to have DLA – High Mobility & Middle Care for 21 years. The DLA to PIP transition was messed up so I claimed Attendance Allowance – Result Zilch

I can’t legally drive anymore because of my issues and the drugs I take.

• Posted

Yep, I agree.  I have seen similar statements on several assessment reports where the claimant drives, and the walk from reception to exam room in all assessment centres is carefully measured and the length of time for which you say you can walk gives a fair indication of how far you can walk at an aberage pace - although they do have to take into account whether you walk very slowly or have significant difficulty or pain and if you cannot do it to an acceptable standard or in less than twice the time taken by a non disabled person, then you cannot complete the activity.   The activity of driving a car is used to lower awards for a lot of claimants because they rationalise that if you can drive a car, your limb strength, coordination and dexterity are such that other activities in the assessment calling for similar attributes should present no problem.  This is why I always stress that if you have any adaptations to your car made with your disability or condition in mind - such as hand controls, swapped accelerators/brakes, steering ball on the wheel to aid with grip and turning the wheel, or anything else of that nature - make it crystal clear on the application form and tell the assessor at the face to face assessment.  If you have these types of adaptions it means that you are assisted with driving despite reduced function, and they cannot apply the same reasoning to other activities.  

The only clarification I would give in respect of other people who receive PIP whose conditions seem less than your own, is to say that PIP is a very different benefit to DLA and does not concentrate on the disability itself, but assesses quite harshly the effect of that disability on carefully prescribed activities.  You can never know the full extent of someone else's condition and no one condition or disability affects sufferers of that condition in the same way.  What seems simple on the surface may have a profound effect on someone's ability to complete the activities assessed in PIP and in all honesty, speaking as a disabled person myself, there are personal and quite unpleasant effects of my condition which even my best friends don't know about and which are embarrassing to discuss even with the medics involved in my treatment.  You can never know everything so it's best not to judge.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.