DLA V PIP

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my DLA for depressional problems stopped after getting zero on the PIP assesment. That is currently going through the standard appeal.

This week I attended hospital and have now been diagnosed with pretty severe ME/CFS. (I had to cancel two appointments as being not well enough to get there.)

Should I wait for the appeal to go through and then if I need to appeal further add the ME/CFS or would it be better to start from scratch with a PIP claim to include the ME/CFS?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear. I have just been on the PIP application page and it seems that as I am 65 I can't apply for PIP anyway as it stops at 64. What do I do now, any ideas?

• Posted

HI were you in receipt of your state pension in March 2013?   I think that is the cut off date.  If you were then you cannot claim Pip,  if you weren't then you would claim PIP.  Anyone getting their pension by that date would keep their DLA and not have to submit a new claim for PIP.  I presume you were told to apply for PIP because you missed the cut off date. 

Have a look on the Government site.  Just type that in and it will come up.  x

• Posted

Getting the State Pension before April 2013 is not the test. The rule is that you must have been 65 (male or female) on the 8th April 2013 for you to avoid PIP and instead keep your DLA. 
    • Posted

I'm seriously disabled both physically and mentally, yet by the time that I started to receive the state pension (June 2013) I was bored stiff being at home with no job.

Thankfully I secured 5 voluntary jobs which keep me very busy - in fact I work over 50 hours every week in total - more hours than I used to do when I was in paid employment! I love it and it has done wonders for both for my health and social life. I know my limitations but I always try and push myself just that next step further on and find that the normal stress that working brings with it keeps my brain functioning.

• Posted

This is the official wording

If you were born on or before 8 April 1948 you’ll continue to receive DLA and won’t be entitled to claim PIP  x

• Posted

Hi Imust

There is nothing stopping you from presenting further evidence now so why wait?

To be successful now or with a fresh application you would still have to meet the descriptors for personal care and mobility. You won't simply be awarded benefit because you have a new diagnosis.

• Posted

Your PIP claim was based on what difficulties existed at the time you made the claim. Any deterioration in mobility or increase in your care needs since that date will count as a change of circumstances. I presume you stated what your care needs/mobility issues were including those created by what has now been diagnosed?

I presume that you were previously on DLA before you were 65 and that the PIP claim is simply a conversion. If you were 65 AFTER 8th April 2013 - you will claim PIP.

You will have to go through the appeal system and then apply for change of circumstances. This will probably mean that you will have to fill out another PIP2 form and have another face to face assessment.

Being 65 now means that you could claim Attendance Allowance but that will not be possible until you have exhausted the PIP appeal process and eventually found against you at a Tribunal.

You cannot pick and choose as you have volunteered to claim PIP instead.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.