DMSO seems to boost steriod effectiveness

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been a long sufferer of episcleritis. I found that the compound DMSO in combination with steriod drops seems to be much more effective than steriod drops alone.

In recent months, the weak steriod drops FLM stopped working for me in curtailing flare ups. I ended up with a red eye for months and explored alternatives on my own. I had used DMSO in bookbinding and knew of it's medicinal properties (google it) and found 40% DMSO eye drops online (https://dmso.store/). Unfortunately, they only modestly reduced redness. My doctor then perscribed a stronger steriod eye drop, Prednisolone. Seemed to work but only lasted 3-4 hours then redness came back.

I tried adding a drop of 40% DMSO an hour after the steriod drop and found that it considerably increased the effectiveness (though over night the redness came back). I went back to the weaker FLM drops together with DMSO an hour later. It seems to take a couple hours to kick in but after one round of drops in the morning my eye is completely clear for the whole day.

The DMSO-steriod combination definitely seems to calm the inflammation down and I'm hoping I can gradually taper off it. My only doubt about this is that maybe the brief use of the stronger prednisolone kicked off a healing cycle rather that the DMSO. Not sure. I'd be greatly interested to hear the results if others try it. Note: the DMSO burns briefly when you put it in but appears to be safe, though it does leave a bad taste in your mouth. When I used it in bookbinding I often had it absorb through my skin and inhale it and never had any harm, other than the smell/taste. Also note: if your using steriod eye drops you need to get eye pressure checked -- my optometrist does it no charge.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.